Home Technical Talk

Any ideas on how to create this image in Illustrator? (image in thread)

Ajstark
null
Offline / Send Message
Ajstark null
Hi guys and gals,

Got a bit of a strange problem here. I have been asked to recreate this image in Adobe Illustrator. Fun huh?

I have been messing around with Illustrator's various Warp and Distort functionality but I can't seem to get anything even  remotely close to the above image, much less the color. I used to work in Illustrator years ago and I am  just getting back into it with CS6. Any help or suggestions from the Polycount community would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Ajstark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajstark null
    perna said:
    Aj, out of curiosity, why use a 2D program to create a 3D image?

Making this in 3D would be very easy. If you absolutely need it in vector form, you can make an image in 3D and then convert that to vector.

You could make the hex mesh grid by conversion, then adjust all the gradient fills by hand. I don't use a recent vector software, so I don't know if you can even get that exact kind of 3D shading in illustrator, at least not within one surface.
    I do have access to Maya but I was unaware of the ability to convert that into a vector image. That might just be the best way to go actually. I'm guessing maya has some kind of conversion tool for Vector? Thank you for your response and the idea! I was playing around with remaking it in 3D but the need for a vector based image stopped me from going that route.
  • autojive
    Offline / Send Message
    autojive polycounter lvl 10
    Ajstark said:
    Hi guys and gals,

Got a bit of a strange problem here. I have been asked to recreate this image in Adobe Illustrator. Fun huh?

I have been messing around with Illustrator's various Warp and Distort functionality but I can't seem to get anything even  remotely close to the above image, much less the color. I used to work in Illustrator years ago and I am  just getting back into it with CS6. Any help or suggestions from the Polycount community would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking!

Did you try using the Image Trace pallet? If you just need to vectorize it, that will be your best solution.
  • Ajstark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajstark null
    autojive said:
    Ajstark said:
    Hi guys and gals,

Thanks for looking!

Did you try using the Image Trace pallet? If you just need to vectorize it, that will be your best solution.
    I actually found that option in illustrator to be a good fit once some of the levels were adjusted. The last time I used it that tool wasn't very reliable. It seems they have made a large improvement on it! The only think it didn't handle too well was the gradients but that was to be expected.

Thank you for the help guys!