Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylised Pirate Island (Image Heavy)

Nano Pixel
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Nano Pixel polycounter lvl 6
Hi, just wanted to share one of my projects that i finished last month. 

Its a pirate island, based around a game that i prototyped as part of a team while at uni last year. The game was called Block-a-lot, a video of the game can be seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4FJ0ovMGBE

Blockalot was designed around the idea of a maze added to a rubiks cube style level. It was more complex than this at first and was scaled back to make it easy to pick up and play. The idea is that you need to collect the coins around the level, and work your way to the top of the tower. It was all done from scratch in 12 weeks, so we didnt really have long to get a solid idea down and start making it, especially as we had 4 other modules to do at the same time.

I chose to do the pirate theme after looking at Rare's Sea of Thieves game, and wanting to try doing something that isnt photorealistic, as most of my projects are.

I would like to eventually work at Rare or Sumo Digital, among other game studios in the UK, and though that this project would let me try my hand at hand painted scenes, of which i have never done before. This will help add variety to the styles and techniques used in my work.

Let me know what you think, and what could be changed for future iterations. 

I would like to develop the tower more now, and make it a playable level, so adding challenges to the tower besides the maze aspect of it.