Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Export Bug?

I noticed when creating a texture such as "chrome" for Unreal 4 that it was coming in dark. Forgive me if this has been answered or if I'm doing something wrong I'd just like to know. I just updated to the newest version of DDO today but have had this problem for awhile with the current and old versions.

I start a project as ToolBag 2.0 to test obviously the results in Marmoset, but when I'm done need to export as UE4 and Unity 5. Shouldn't the Export option correctly name and produce these outputs?

I ran a test. I started a project set as UE4 and exported a metal such as "chrome" on an object. The output will show that the albedo where the Chrome is applied is light in color and almost white.

If I say create the project in ToolBag 2.0 and use the Export function for UE4 Maps the result is the Chrome area is now black rather then white and results in the Chrome looking black in UE4 Engine. Also the naming convention isn't the same when using the Export as UE4 compared to starting the project with UE4 settings rather than ToolBag 2.0

What is the point of the Export function if it's not really giving me the correct results? Am I doing something wrong? Another problem is if I need all 3 versions I don't want to re-texture each one for each setting to get the correct results. When opening the Reconfigure option it doesn't allow for changing from UE4 to ToolBag 2.0 Outputs that I've seen anyway. Am I doing something wrong here?

Need some help as I'm trying to get correct results for each output.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    If the albedo color needs to change for the specific use-case you have in mind, you'll need to manually adjust it before exporting. DDO has no way of knowing the intention of the export, or whether you prefer having a specific color unless you instruct it to change the values before exporting.

It's worth noting also that UE4 requires reflection capture actors in a scene before metal will really look correct - check and ensure that you've applied these to your scene.

If you don't have the correct map targets for your specified engine export profile, you won't get a proper conversion. Be sure to use the DDO menu --> Add New Map --> * to create the necessary maps for the target you're exporting to. E.g. UE4 requires Roughness, AlbedoM, Normal, and Metalness. Without those four maps active in a DDO project, you won't get the correct exported results. We're working on adjusting this going forward to interpolate values from existing maps.

I'll need information on the naming convention you've mentioned. You can rename your textures at any point using the exporter or by editing them afterwards using Windows.
  • 3DCGIMODELS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi thanks for answering, but what I need to know is how can I get 3 results by texturing my object one time. I need Marmoset Toolbag 2.0 settings to do my renders, and I need both UE4 and Unity 5 as final outputs for my textures going into both game engines.

All I see under the initial options is one pull down as picture example I have chosen Tool Bag 2. What is the process to also get UE4 and Unity 5 without having to make 3 separate DDO projects and if I have to make 3 separate projects for 3 separate outputs what is that setup involved so I don't have to texture the same thing 3 times. If there is no way to go back and change the settings to UE4 or Unity 5 once I have selected Toolbag 2.0 what would I do?

Here is the result of the Albedo map. One starts with UE4 and exports UE4, the other starts ToolBag 2.0 and exports UE4 resulting in incorrect coloring in albedo to get correct chrome effect. I have the capture spheres in my scene as they come in all the default map setups and they are within the range of my object.

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You don't really need a Marmoset-specific export. UE4 or UE4 (RMA-Packed) exports from DDO will function perfectly fine so long as you choose GGX shading and apply all materials correctly per Toolbag's documentation.

Right now DDO is designed to function with one export profile at a time. You can export to other engines and renderers, but you need to manually add the maps to your project in order to do so. This is why you need to add each map for your specific target as I mentioned earlier. So long as those maps exist in the DDO project, DDO will export them based on the export profile settings you've chosen.

DDO and UE4 are 1-1 - if your objects aren't looking correct in UE4, it's either one of three things:

1) Your materials aren't set up correctly in DDO. You'll need to play around with color settings in your AlbedoM *.PSD in order to find the right color values for the type of work you're trying to do.

2) Your material in UE4 is not set up correctly.

3) Both 1) and 2)
  • 3DCGIMODELS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok took your advice and created the project as UE4 and added the maps I needed so I could create Unity and Unreal and then Marmoset Renders. I guess it worked out ok, let me know what you think I posted some images of the Bike I created using that workflow in the sticky thread "what you working on".
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Looks good to me! :)