Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animation Schools options 2016

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Seralios polycounter lvl 8
Hi all, I was doing some research about which schools are better for character animatos. The choices at the beginning were the following:
1. Animation mentor
2. iAnimate
3. Animschool
4. AnimSquad
I've asked some colleagues and friends and got some opinions but most of the people that I've asked have done the workshops in the past and have no recent experience. The main thing I'm worried about is if some of these schools focus more on gaming animation and less on character animation for feature films. Does anybody have any recent experience or can share their criteria on how to pick the right workshop? I know that prices are different as well but I'm trying to leave the cost issue for last to consider.

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Well, I've been with iAnimate for a while. With ia, you submit your demo reel and Jason Ryan will put you into the workshop that he thinks will suit you best. Do you have any specific questions?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Not sure why you think they all focus mostly on games. Most of them started with feature animation, and have created separate classes for game animation. 
    Ive taken classes at AM, iA and AS. All were worth the money. All were really good. If you want to do feature animation, then stick to the feature classes. Dont sign up for the games animation classes. 

None of the schools replaced their feature classes with games. They just created a new, separate class for games. And all of them have done nothing but get better over time. They all adjust their assignments based on the feedback they give, and the progress they see in their students. 
  • Seralios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might have emphasized more than I should have on the existence of a game animation course at the same time as the feature films but that's only because I feared that ia is focusing a lot more on game animation and I've seen a change in their tutors selection over the last few years. Great animators have stopped working at ia and I don't know if that's a sign that they are focusing more on games or just a coinsidence. I don't really have a specific question regarding my choice but I neither have a goof criteria as to which of these schools would be better for me. Hence me asking for some advice :)
    ps. I believe that there is a need to say that I have no intention at all to downgrade any of the mentioned schools. I guess they are all great at what they do which is why I have a hard time to choose.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Nope. The change in instructors, as far as I know, has nothing to do with the school itself. I know a few (i work with one) that stopped, and it was entirely because they just didnt have time. All the instructors are full time in the industry, so when life gets in the way, they have to change it up. 

Also, the reason games has become prominent at iA is because feature and games are run be different people. Since the feature is set up really well, and older, it doesnt need as much tweeking. Games is still growing and trying to get to that point. 

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Yep, Stefan is spot on. The feature side is top notch, the instructors are usually consistent. The games side is always changing, instructors are always being shifted around. New rigs aren't as introduced as regularly as the feature side.

The feature side is still the "main one" and the games side is like a spin-off. Make no mistake, the instructors on both sides are fantastic. Some of the instructors have been there since iA first started.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I finished game track last december, doing mocap 1 right now @ iAnimate. To get the most you can out of the workshops, especially ones with live sessions, you need to try things outside of what's covered in class and ask a lot of questions, better to be told the question is outside of material being covered than realizing after the class that you have questions that you didn't ask. Another thing you want to check is access to past recordings... iAnimate gives you access to all past recordings from the workshops you have taken so you can learn a great deal in addition to what the current curriculum covers. 

Game side changes around also because depending on where the instructor comes from, the tech is very different... where as Feature is fairly consistent in focusing on animation principles etc, game animation have technical and design requirements that can impact the animation design and workflow considerably. 
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    To go on Hito's statements. Ya, the Instructors for games definitely have their own specialties, that give them their own style. If one of them mostly does first person animations, then you`ll get a lot of tips and tricks for that type of stuff. But then the instructors for the combat classes tend to have a lot of combat experience. They are well placed. 

It's the same with feature. They are teaching the classes that best suits their styles. 
  • Seralios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for you comments! Some very helpfull tips :)