Home Technical Talk

Is a high poly Model Needed for Realistic PBR Game Assets?

dar0005
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
dar0005 polycounter lvl 6
Hello, 

I would like to know if a high poly model is necessary when creating a realistic game asset, especially in the game industry. I ask this because high poly modeling can be very time consuming and I haven't had much success with normal map baking thus far for complex models where xnormal doesn't get small details like screws and bolts and even most indentations, and without the high poly model is a normal map still needed for details that are not in the low poly model and if not ,how would you model the low poly, would i bevel edges to have better results like in this example I did. This particular model has 6319 tris and 3293 verts.
And would the normal map be as simple as this :
or would the normal map be more detailed? The end goal is to be able to sell my models like unity asset store and ue4 marketplace and here is another example model which is 8k tris, can this be textured the same as the first model posted? The software I used for texturing is DDO and NDO using a custom made ID map in Photoshop. And these are only two of many more models I have.
One more thing how would i go about modeling something where i can't find enough reference images for details or don't know the name of parts which would make finding more reference images difficult?

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    No, a high poly model isn't essential. Some game artists don't use them at all. The mid-poly(chamfered/beveled low poly) workflow is a very viable option. Especially these days as game vert counts are a lot higher than they once were. Custom surface normals are another option.

Also, with tools like NDO and the Substance tools normal/height detail can be done at the texturing phase. You can bake your maps for the ddo/substance workflow based on the geo so a NM isn't required. You can also paint your normal detail and use that normal map as a basis to bake other maps.

Just make sure your model is cleanly triangulated before final export and that there are no surface normal shading errors. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @dar0005
    Study examples, there are many available from many games by various artists. I think you will quickly figure out the answer to your question from there.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/lonewolf3d
    http://www.bergman3d.com/
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/ethanhiley
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/pirat
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/lildragn

Now as far as marketplace assets are concerned it's kind of up to you to decide on the style and the execution technique. There might be room for assets with less accurate details than the ones shown in the above links (TF2 style for instance) ... but if you do want to create assets with higher fidelity then yes, you will need baking.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    It's not necessary but you're asking something along the lines of if you can be a car mechanic without ever using a specific size spanner.
  • dar0005
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes sense ,with the assets i have now would i go through and make high poly versions of them?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I would say yes, based on the fact that it's great practice and will improve your knowledge/skillset by learning to subd model and bake efficiently.

As for things you don't have enough refs for....be an artist, improvise, use your imagination. :)
  • dar0005
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the size of the model affect the result of the bake? Such for small detail like in this model i did

but the baked normal map would come out like this even with exploding the mesh 

where a lot of detail is missing and this was bake in xnormal and maya which gave me similar results this normal map has been tampered and the original this has to layers to sharpen the image smudged normals i did to get rid of a lot of errors.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    We are removing the high poly step from most of our workflow here at Cold Iron, only using it when it is necessary.
    Caveats include but are not limited to:
    1. Must use custom normals. Maya does this by default now to an ok degree. We have custom tools for workflow purposes.
    2. Must eat the cost of using extra Verts/Tris. In some cases it may triple your tri count. Be smart about it, and it is ok.
    3. Must change the mindset of an ingrained / indoctrinated workflow.
    4. Advanced material blending in engine is a huge plus.
    5. Must eat the cost of advanced material blending.
    6. Deferred Decals will greatly improve the workflow.
    7. May have to use a second UV channel.
    8. Must eat the cost of a second UV channel.
    9. Must understand that sometimes, you just need to make a high poly and bake.

I have created similar high quality assets without a high poly step, and with proper iteration and tools, can pump out assets that look baked in far less time.  Once consoles/PC's have a baseline similar to MS Project Scorpio, high polys will be rarely necessary. 
    Learning to do the workflow is great as musashidan said, but it would also be smart to prepare for the future.

• dar0005
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the information, Quack! do you have any examples of assets that were created that way I can have a look at? And as for characters how would that work?
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Assume we're talking about viewmodels (weapons).

If your game has a significant triangle margin for viewmodels then you may not need a highpoly. Smooth edges can be approximated with support loops. Some engines even support realtime subdivision, which reduces the need for baking because the game model itself can be a highpoly model.

But, in practice, to achieve best results in a realistic budget, you need to bake from a highpoly model. Triangles are still limited, so normal maps still have utility. Certain workflows can help you automate highpolies more.

If you're not doing viewmodel assets but more environment stuff, you might want to look into texture atlasing.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    dar0005 said:
    Thanks for the information, Quack! do you have any examples of assets that were created that way I can have a look at? And as for characters how would that work?
    Characters are the tough one.
    In order to remove the high poly step, you have to stop using Zbrush. We all know that Zbrush is THE essential tool in a character pipeline, so how do we remove it?  How do we tell character artists that they have to go back to manually making a character using Sub-D modelling?  There may be a solution, but I don't think any current character artist will be able to ditch Zbrush, so we are just biting the bullet and eating the cost of making the character models all twice.

Ideally your characters will just be 70k+ triangles and you can just model all the details you need for many characters, but most artists would still use zbrush and that defeats the purpose of streamlining this step.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I have some thoughts on this as I'm planning out pipelines for our studio at the moment and it's on my mind

Firstly i believe using custom normals as a means of faking soft edges etc. Is a false economy in most asset related cases. The method is expensive, destructive and does not LOD effectively  -  It works well for objects that use tiling textures and dont LOD but as a replacement for baking on a character or environmental prop the negatives far outweigh any (dubious) gain in productivity for me.

A middle of the road approach where larger scale information (edge bevels etc.) is baked and higher frequency/non-sillhouette details are added using textures seems to yield the best results in terms of flexibility and speed.
    Eg.
    Your high res models are quicker to build/sculpt,  simpler to bake and you can  rework large scale information without destroying time consuming details.
    Your low res models can be cheaper and LOD effectively.
    Final decisions on surface information can be deferred till far later in a project ( a godsend if your renderer isn't finished yet). 

So yes, in summary I think you do need a high res mesh,  it just doesn't have to feature every  wrinkle or screwhead
  • dar0005
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip poopipe =)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I am doing an environment test model that is a mix of high poly to low bakes and the main model just being painted in substance painter (well they will all be painted but three have support maps). From what I have seen you can come a long way by painting on normal/and the rest maps, without the hipoly. The new hipoly/mid mesh technique would give you a great mesh to work on. Like has been said I think you question depends a lot on the sort of model you need. You dont want to let your repetoire depend on avoiding hipoly bakes.