Home Technical Talk

Is VR the death of 'billboard' particles?

Niber
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Niber polycounter lvl 2
I recently spoke to someone who said that they had to make all their VFX's with 3d meshes instead of billboards, because billboards (in UE4) just didn't work in VR. Now after this conversation I was thinking to myself is that just a bug or is "camera facing billboards" intrinsicly unsuitible for stereoscopic/VR?

a) Just a bug: Perhaps it's as simple as that, UE4 (and perhaps other engines) gets confused over how to face the camera when there's 2 cameras, so rather than choosing a middle-ground value between the 2 cameras it does something wierd (chooses 1, use different for different eyes, flickers between them). However that this will probably be fixed very quickly (if not already).

b) There's something intrinsicly unsuitible for stereoscopic/VR. That even if a billboard correctly faces the middle value between the 2 cameras, the result just doesn't look good due to the nature of stereoscopic/VR. I would have imagined that any slight perspective errors by having a mono-camera sprite rendered on stereo-cameras would be so small it would be unnoticeable. but I admit to not having tested it (don't have VR)

I'm not working on a VR project ATM, I'm more interested regarding the future of VFX, if perhaps a VFX artist would be wise to gradually transition away from billboards into meshes.

Replies

• 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    Improvements to volumetric FX is probably one of the next big hurdles to get over in realtime rendering tech I think. There's only so far you can go with billboards and animated textures. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in that area in the next few years. And not just because of VR either.
  • Niber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Niber polycounter lvl 2
    Ah I wasn't really thinking about volumetric FX but more along the lines of for example rendering a firesprite on a sphere, but yeah actual real volumetric FX would have been awesome, especially when you're driving through the fire. I would imagine some day you'll use software like FumeFx but instead of rendering to texture you render to 3d grid which is then replayed in engine, looking forward to it :)