Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Balmora Mages Guild Fan-art

Allottho
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Allottho polycounter lvl 2
Hi all!
I'm starting a long project to learn as much about Unreal Engine and modern workflows as possible.
Just finished a detailed blockout, and going to dive into world geometry details and materials. I'm also thinking about making all of this completely interactive. Not to completely reverse-engineer the whole Morrowind gameplay system of course, that'd be insane, at least on my current level of knowledge, but to make every object usable (picking up, spining in front of the camera, throwing away, reading in UMG-widget its stats). I just started to learn Blueprints, and it's so much fun, I want to use them everywhere possible.
Anyway, I started... hmm, 3 or 4 weekends ago, and now I have a completely rebuilt modular set with roughly the same level of details, as it was in the original game. It was a really fun experience, to discover how all of this was made. Im not using the original Bethesda's workflow based on evenly sized cubes, though. Every object that logically should be separated, is separated. And there are some "artisitic freedoms" too. Like walls with actual thickness, not two flat polys back to back, etc.
Anyway.
Little piece of reference sheet (it's too big to post it whole)

And here is what I've done (no foliage centerpiece though. I'll add it later, when I get my hands on SpeedTree)

I'm thinking, there should be more clutter, than the game had. I'll try to figure it out.

I'm not entierely happy with lighting yet, but it'll do for now. I'll return to it when I'm done with materials.
I also decided to add those windows in the wall on the top floor. Just to liven it up a bit, and connect with exterior (which I blocked out too, but not entirely)

I'm already seeing a problem with doors. They can't be opened - they'll stuck either in outside wall, or in the celing lights. They should be moved a bit to the outside.
Blockout is kiiinda finished, but not really. There is a lot of stuff I want to add, and I'll do it as it goes.
So. I'm done for now, looking forward for any comments and critique!

Replies

• Umbrafoxus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umbrafoxus polycounter lvl 3
    Yes! My favorite Elder Scrolls game :chuffed: looking forward to seeing this come together and liking the look of it so far :D 
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    My favorite TES as well, but that's to be expected after all only morrowind and daggerfall are good. But enough with the Oblivion/Skyirim bashing.
    So far this one looks really faithful to the original and it's already starting to bring back great memories.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Nice blockout! Since I'll have to ditto that "Favorite TES game" I'm looking forward to the rest  =)
  • Allottho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allottho polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks everyone!
    It's my favourite TES game too, as you may already guessed. As soon as I heard, that Bethesda is going to make a remastering of Skyrim, and also said that Morrowind remastering isn't possible, I got that idea burning like fire.
    But I tend to agree - it's indeed not possible. Too much work, and too vague marketability. Sigh.