Home Contests & Challenges Archives Reallusion's 3D Character Design Contest 2016

Reallusion Character Design - Rampa

Rampa
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Rampa polycounter lvl 3
I'll try and get some progress displayed here. :)

Replies

• Rampa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rampa polycounter lvl 3
    First step is determining how well "clothing" works as a second skin. It works very well with one caveat. It will not move with the viseme morphs for speech. I had discovered this previously when I figured out how to make beards in CC.

Anyway, here is a test of a second skin for the body only. This has implications for varying mesh resolution, UV mapping, and so on. It also behaves exactly like the original skin.

• Rampa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rampa polycounter lvl 3
    So..... I'm still just toying with basic mer-tail shape. No nice texturing blending yet, but here is an idea I am trying out.

• Space_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Space_3D vertex
     Hai ...... rampa  its good look model.
    Any reference  --------> How to upload picture on this forum
    Thanks
  • Rampa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rampa polycounter lvl 3
    Space_3D said:
     Hai ...... rampa  its good look model.
    Any reference  --------> How to upload picture on this forum
    Thanks
    You need to upload your image somewhere. They are not hosted here. Then you paste the URL into the pop-up that appears when you click on the little paper with the folded over corner icon. It'll appear in your message.
  • Rampa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rampa polycounter lvl 3
    So I'm finding it's better to use an IK chain for the mer-tail. That makes it not CC compatible, but all my ideas work well in 3DXchange as well. It is recognized, and gets all the CC visemes automatically applied. 

I am using a trick of "clothing" as a second skin, while hiding the original skin. It's a way to get non-bipedal bodies while maintaining all the face puppet/viseme goodies.

• Rampa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rampa polycounter lvl 3
    Been researching a bit more, I'm about to get started. I'll be posting videos of my work real soon. I have two characters planned at the moment. We'll see how it goes. We can submit up to three.

My basic guide for the mermaid is this. She may get a more "fish-like" (dorsally oriented), rather than mammalian tail.

• Rampa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rampa polycounter lvl 3
    Having done some research and a whole lot of testing of ideas, it is now time to start the actual model that I will use for the mermaid.

My objective is to maintain as much of the iClone/CC compatibility as possible. Being that I am adding bones to the skeleton, the avatar will no longer import into CC, but it will retain the visemes and facial muscle morphs of a standard CC character.

I am using a "second skin" approach so that I can retain compatibility and also have a significantly different body mesh. The second skin is actually clothing that has no offset from the body mesh. I then hide the original body mesh.

Please enjoy part one of my mermaid modeling! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXb4cM9kyY&feature=youtu.be
  • Rampa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rampa polycounter lvl 3
    Here goes the basic concept for the hands......or rather, fins. I figured that being a sea creature, she maybe didn't really need hands at all. By using the existing hands as the basis for her fins, I can use the hand animation controls in the motion layer in iClone. This is sticking to my idea of staying as iClone compatible as possible. The leg bones may end up being re-purposed as fluke fins as well. 

These "hand fins" have a kind of Asian fan feel to them that I really like. I had thought earlier of having her use fans as such and have fins to match. I thought it might be more interesting to actually have her hands be the fans....err....fins.

• Alexionna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Hey this looks really cool! Keep up the good work it seems very detailed. Good luck!  :)

-Alex
  • LPR001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LPR001 null
    Great work as usual Rampa