Home Contests & Challenges Archives Reallusion's 3D Character Design Contest 2016

Reallusion Character Design - Jtechy

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
My Work-In-Progress Forum for Reallusion Character Design - 

Replies

• Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am very excited to be joining this contest. I have had an idea in my head for a while that has been struggling to get out and be realized.   In fact, since "Character Creator" came on the map... I have not had the chance to use it (either the idea or the program) and so am thrilled to be trying both!  Thanks to the contest creators for that.... lets do this!  ...on to my "brain child"...
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No surprise ....my "brain child" is a little child... and I plan to pour a lot of love and hard work into this project... Come on little...be "born" soon!
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the thing is, i haven't used Character Creator yet.. so maybe my test of it will be a thorough one...beginner user and all...  After having looked at other programs.. i have decided to make my character via iClone's provided program since i own it and since it sounds way easier... I will report back soon...  I would call my skills at building PASSIBLE at best, and yet the projects demands to be made.  That little voice saying "it's about time to learn and go do!" he he. So I will obey.:awesome:  :)  blessings

• Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you believe i spent all day upgrading versions of my iclone and cc and other reallusion software...i was WAY behind with the updates so I couldn't even use Character Creator...no WONDER...  I'm glad thats done...    It took so long mostly because you have to update incrementally ...so if you are on version one of CC, for example, you must install each update until the last... wish there was a way to just jump to the newest update...
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the techy in me is working on the technicalities of rigging my character.. and a little story is about to come into play..as I go I feel more certain... little one will have to keep up :)
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working today on learning character creator... on a mac it has an added step....but i am able to make it run half the speed.  still looks cool to use
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is an image of me testing my first base (stock) female in cc..... I will be building my own meshed obj, boned/meshed/colored in 3dexchange and import to Content Creator for more tweaking ... that is my next step 
  • Jtechy
  • douglassoares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    douglassoares vertex
    Jtechy said:
    working today on learning character creator... on a mac it has an added step....but i am able to make it run half the speed.  still looks cool to use
    How are you using on mac? Can you explain ? Thank you!
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure!  I am using a parallel desktop 11 to run an "image" of my broken pc (the screen broke on my working pc... but I had backed it up with parallel desktop transporter).  It cannot run it as a second window, It HAS to be in Coherence mode. :)  Hope that helps.  You can allocate more memory etc to the virtual machine ....IF IFIF you have it available to share in the first place of course ha... my mac isnt the fastest one on the planet 
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jtechy said:

I posted the reply above... could you help me?  I am wondering how to attach a pic to our polycount thread?  i think it is all the kid noise I have around me... but i am not getting it... and i bet you know :) thanks!

• douglassoares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    douglassoares vertex
    Jtechy said:
    Jtechy said:

I posted the reply above... could you help me?  I am wondering how to attach a pic to our polycount thread?  i think it is all the kid noise I have around me... but i am not getting it... and i bet you know :) thanks!

The best way is upload your picture to dropbox or similar, get a link and embed. 
    The icon next to the clips.
  • douglassoares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    douglassoares vertex
    Jtechy said:
    sure!  I am using a parallel desktop 11 to run an "image" of my broken pc (the screen broke on my working pc... but I had backed it up with parallel desktop transporter).  It cannot run it as a second window, It HAS to be in Coherence mode. :)  Hope that helps.  You can allocate more memory etc to the virtual machine ....IF IFIF you have it available to share in the first place of course ha... my mac isnt the fastest one on the planet 
    Thank you for this! I never thought in use a virtual machine for work with 3D. I will try later. 
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey no problem. and thanks! that should work. good thinking... Jodi
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alrighty. so i haven't checked in for a while but i am am working off and on on my creation. I hope to post a sketch or two soon... my rig got messed up just enough for it to be unusable in the competition .. so I have to start all over again;  and that is not including the clothes.. its ok though. I won't give up!

• Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok. SO I know it is not required for the contest but I am about to do a huge investment and double my chances with all the pro software reallusion has to offer

• AdventDestiny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdventDestiny polycounter lvl 2
    Before you go and take a big risk, I have to ask whether or not you know that in order to import and export characters from iClone 6 into other programs, you need 3DXchange Pipeline, which on it's own costs over $400, $600 if you take into account iClone 6 Pro, then whatever additional money it will cost to buy expansions to the Character Creator.

If you're thinking that buying the full product will make things any easier to create what you want, it won't, not unless you spend even more money on stuff like the CC Essentials Bundle to make more than what you already can. If you plan on doing everything in iClone 6, then just purchase iClone 6 Pro on it's own, which will only cost $199, and you'll have plenty of money to spend on add-on content for Character Creator, which comes with iClone 6 Pro for free.
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Advent Destiny.  I appreciate the input and it is true that the content can be pricy... i have added to the software bit by bit and it is difficult to keep up to date with upgrades because it is costly.  However, what I am looking  at doing now is adding the expansion pack for the content creator so that I will be able to handle more customization on my clothes.  Do you have that pack?  Is it worth it?  I am also debating getting the new Perception Neuron stuff... it is one of the prizes so that is up in the air.  But it is a better deal right now.   That will max me out right now.

It is important to note that ALL animation software, with the exception of free Blender and other open source (lesser) software, is pricy. Sometimes more so... its unfortunate but what we have to deal with.  I am a hobbyist animator at best.. and often use it for education... i opt for speed over being able to do everything... 

If you have a good suggestion for 3d creation, i'm all ears for a useful software that does that well from the ground up! :)

Thanks my friend!

AdventDestiny said:
    Before you go and take a big risk, I have to ask whether or not you know that in order to import and export characters from iClone 6 into other programs, you need 3DXchange Pipeline, which on it's own costs over $400, $600 if you take into account iClone 6 Pro, then whatever additional money it will cost to buy expansions to the Character Creator.

If you're thinking that buying the full product will make things any easier to create what you want, it won't, not unless you spend even more money on stuff like the CC Essentials Bundle to make more than what you already can. If you plan on doing everything in iClone 6, then just purchase iClone 6 Pro on it's own, which will only cost $199, and you'll have plenty of money to spend on add-on content for Character Creator, which comes with iClone 6 Pro for free.

• AdventDestiny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdventDestiny polycounter lvl 2
    Sadly no I don't have the expanded content for Character Creator, though I have seen its potential from a demonstration video. The expanded content goes beyond just the clothing, it also will make it even easier to refine the appearance of your character, even give them far more inhuman features more easily. If you really feel that this is the right path to go, then go for it! Honestly have no experience with Perception Neuron, though it does seem cool.

I totally understand the predicament in regards to finding good animation programs for a good price. Blender really is the only professional program to go for that anyone can afford, but its weakness is also its advantage; it can do anything other programs can, but because of this the interface is very complex, making it hard to find exactly what to you need. Still, can't beat free software can you?

For more specialized alternatives, you might want to check out Scluptris for digital sculpting of models [essentially a free version of ZBrush], and Unreal Engine 4 has been pushing to provide a real-time alternative to quality animation and cinematics, in addition to game development its so well known for. They're both for free.

Hope this helps with your decision.
  • Jtechy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that is terrific and helps so much! i will look into those.  Thanks my friend!
    AdventDestiny said:

For more specialized alternatives, you might want to check out Scluptris for digital sculpting of models [essentially a free version of ZBrush], and Unreal Engine 4 has been pushing to provide a real-time alternative to quality animation and cinematics, in addition to game development its so well known for. They're both for free.

Hope this helps with your decision.