Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: BIG BEN

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Anth polycounter lvl 3
Hey all,

In this thread I am going to post a breakdown of my process for creating Big Ben, I'm about 80% done will my modelling so i'm going to just dump it all in here with some pics from inside maya then texture it in Substance :)

First off here is my base block out for the main body of the tower

Next the repeating pattern which will fill the spaces of the tower.

Together it gave me a satisfying result to try and mimic the complexity of Big Ben.

Replies

• Anth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anth polycounter lvl 3
    Now next I started on the clock so I got a good feel of the proportions of the upper body of the tower. The clock is the most complex and important part of the piece but has to be repeated four times, and since im under a poly limit so this proved difficult.

First a basic lay out , trying not to use too many subdivids on my cylinders but still achieving a smooth look. Less would be fine if I didnt plan on the model being viewed up close.

Next the repeating pattern on the clock.

Added a few more details and made a start on the pattern but decided to block out the rest first.

• Anth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anth polycounter lvl 3
  • Anth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anth polycounter lvl 3
    Upper body of the tower.

Really excited to start the texturing process on this and see what final result I'll end up with. At the moment my poly count is quite high for what I want as my final result so I think baking a lot of the details into a normal map is needed, and maybe when this actually gets put into game create a low poly version of the clocks to save some verts on the other sides of the clock the player will not be facing.

• Anth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anth polycounter lvl 3
    Abit of progress on the clock pattern