Home Technical Talk

UE4- Trace Line to Displaced Mesh- Help!

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Lexinator117 polycounter lvl 4
So I've got this boat here, sitting in a water mesh that has a perlin noise driven World Position Offset to create undulating waves, a seen in the uneven surface at the base of the boat there. Now what i am looking to do is to make the boat rock appropriately on the waves.

Right now the idea goes like so;

1. the four floating spheres above the ship cast trace lines down a few thousand units, making positive hits only on my predefined object type 'Fluid_surface'
2. the Blueprint detects measures the distance from the bow to the water, then the stern to the water, and Rinterps the pitch of the boat until the distance is the same. The same process would occur between the Portside sphere and the Starboard.

This would create the rocking effect i am looking for, the problem is that the trace lines refuse to hit the deforming/displacing mesh, they will only hit a collision box. I figure that there must be a way to have the Trace hit the mesh directly, as there are so many uses for that mechanic, but i cannot for the life of me figure out how i might pull it off.

So once again i turn to you, polycount technical community, for your expertise. Thank you, I anxiously await all your input.

-Lex 

Replies