Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hellmouth's Character Design Work

Hellmouth
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
Hey,

Having grown increasingly unhappy with my design work lately, I figured I'd go ahead and attempt to get some outside feedback. Maybe someone will see something I'm not.
My work is on Tumblr, ArtStation and DeviantArt. For the sake of this thread, here's a few examples:
2015:

2014:

2013:

I draw quasi-realistic (in regards to design) fantasy and, since 2014, have opted to work almost exclusively with non-humans (fantasy races, aliens, whichever term works). This “non-humans only“ rule has most likely been a crutch, since I couldn't make humans interesting I've recently revoked that self-imposed limitation, not that it's made a huge difference

But that is not the reason I made this thread. Instead, I’ve always had this nagging feeling that my designs are under-detailed, especially when it comes to equipment, regardless of whether it’s clothing, armour or weapons.

I'm having a hard time putting into words what exactly I'm having trouble with, but in the equipment I design there’s no details, neither functional nor as random trinkets, to hint at the wearer’s agency, personality, culture or needs. It lacks the lived-in quality, I think is what it boils down to...

TL;DR Everything I design I feel is barebones. I don’t know how to remedy this.

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Looks heromachine made.

Heromachine = tacky, won't be taken seriously.

Not saying you actually used heromachine, just giving you a straight up feedback.
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm assuming you're referring to the designs themselves, though admittedly the rendering fits the description just as well.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Being real, in a way that's hopefully not upsetting, I think the 2013 designs are without a doubt the strongest of the bunch, the 2014 being next, with the 2015 designs simply being too hard to read. 

Probably because they're more grounded in reality - the 2013 designs show clear intent, purpose.  They give off a consistent vibe and they make sense.  The more alien designs are just that - alien.  But not in a good like, "Oh dang, that's exotic as hell and I dig it" sort of way.  "Alien" in that I just can't really wrap my head around what I'm looking at.  I mean I can tell some of them like, probably fight things because they're carrying weapons, but other than that I have no idea.  Can't tell if they're meant to be wealthy, poor, skilled in a trade, physically capable, diplomat, peasant, noble, or half the time even what the they're made of.  There's a few of them I might be able to take a guess, but that's about it.

I don't think your issue is a lack of detail.  Good design communicates.  The message your designs currently try to convey is very jumbled.
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not upsetting at all, it's why I made this thread in the first place.

My goal for my latest design was, actually, pretty much to make them as bizarre (exotic, as you put it) as possible, haha, which fell apart when I put them in straight-up medieval european armour or otherwise unremarkably plain attire, which is what led to my making this thread.

I'm probably approaching designing these in too video gamey a fashion, designing "enemies" rather than "NPCs" or "characters", which means everything has to have the capacity to fight, even when it doesn't really make sense. So I've been focusing entirely on fighter types, not entirely intentional, either. Maybe that's why they come across as haphazard and confusing?

I don't know if I'm making sense, but I'm thankful for your feedback nevertheless!
  • Hellmouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd necro my own thread to show off that I haven't improved at all some more recent designs

• DmitryMorozov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DmitryMorozov polycounter lvl 7
    In the technical sense, your drawings for the tasks of the concept art are made quite normally.

It seems to me, the main problem of the characters is that from a multitude of elements on each of them isn't create to a holistic image. Visually it isn't clear what this character is about. He does not have distinct properties - is he good or  evil? aggressive and heavy? or friendly and very fast?

It isn't enough to draw a lot of different elements in the concept of the character. Necessary that these elements express his essence. Otherwise, the concept looks faceless and chaotic, in despite of all efforts to create complex detail.

On this topic there is an excellent tutorial:

To better understand the theory from there, I advise you to study this concept of Mike (it is created in the video version of the tutorial)
    Learn how the theory from the lecture is applied.

I think it should help.
    With your technique, you can create quite decent concepts, if you will attentively approach to the construction of the story of the character.