Home Contests & Challenges Archives Reallusion's 3D Character Design Contest 2016

Reallusion Character Design - Vii

Vii
Vii
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Vii polycounter lvl 6
My goal is to make a character that prioritizes expressiveness.

I had an image in my head, and I gathered images that represent that. Essentially an old russian soldier. These are all photos, however I'm going for a stylized appearance, they're here so I know what clothes they worse and what features defined them.

Here's some of the reference I gathered, mostly from Pinterest - a surprisingly good source for gathering ref. I wrote in text what each image offered for my plan.

My concepts are rough lines defining form and ideas, consider proportions, to give me a starting point and get what I want to achieve somewhere that isn't solely in my mind. As it's a one person project I have little incentive to convey an idea in a way other people can work from.

This is what I came up with as a starting point.

He has a huge silly hat, a furrowed brow, a large curley moustache, small glasses, a large jacket making up the bulk of his form, with sleeves that cover his hands, he has a knife and two satchels on his belt, two medals on his chest. And a rifle, possibly. His hands are large, after all they're the most expressive parts of our body and 'expressiveness' is my objective. He will roll back his sleeves (part of the rig).

Then in Maya, I blocked out his shapes and used the 3d paint tool to slap an outline of his face over the sphere.

And I used that surface to draw the primary loops that define his features over.

From there, I pulled out the geometry to define the form, and gave him a moustache. Few tweaks to the topology and changed my mind about his button nose. This is where I'm at today, and now I stop until tomorrow. :)

Your thoughts are very welcome.

Replies

• ThePoetTrees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThePoetTrees vertex
    Hi Vii,
    Great to meet you. Toon style wins me every time, especially low poly, so I'm biased but thoroughly impressed already.
    I've never modelled with Maya before though, so I'm also hooked and keen to see more.
    Good luck with your next stage!
    :)

• Mythcons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mythcons vertex
    This looks great, I will be a follower of your progress. And good luck!
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys :)

Not much time to work on it today, I played with the shape of his face a bit, essentially making the nose longer as well as the bridge between the nose and mouth, therefore enlarging the moustache, also rounded out his jaw a bit (after giving him one). Increased definition for his cheeks - looks more uh, defined, funnily enough!

Thought about some hairstyles too, but wasn't happy with any I tried, will work on it more tomorrow. Create his corneas, eyebrows, and eyelashes. The hat is only there as proxy geometry until I model it.

• Kuchini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuchini polycounter lvl 4
    Wonderful toon style! Will be great character... ;) Good LUCK!!!
  • Alexionna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Hey I love the idea so far, looking forward to the finished product. I'm also a huge fan of toon style so good luck!  :) 

-Alex