Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Vanguard 2 GT - hovercar and environment [UE4, Blender, Allegorithmic]

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SkyWay polycounter lvl 14
That's a title and a half and I think this is my first personal work-in-progress thread here, hello there!

This was supposed to become my entry for the Allegorithmic Road Trip contest, but I ran out of time (and skill) so I turned it into a learning project.

My goals for this are:
  • design of a fictional vehicle (this I have, but there's room for polish)
  • design of the vehicle interior (I have an idea, but no actual design)
  • creation of the vehicle and interior (I rushed this hoping I had enough time so I'll take a step back and go from there)
  • design of the environment (the basic idea is there)
  • creation of the environment
  • texturing the vehicle and environment with Substance Designer and Painter (4.6.2 and 1.7.2, no need to upgrade yet)
  • learning how to be better at achieving said goals and through that have a good looking end result with some solid knowledge under it
So all that contains planning, design, modelling, textures and implementation inside Unreal. Sort of like a full-course dinner.

Here's a link to my Trello board like I left it after the contest was over https://trello.com/b/FsyVXcme/allegorithmic-roadtrip-2116 . This is what I did first https://trello.com/c/UQQ7y8Vd/2-write-the-idea-down and I'm going to stick to that written design behind my idea even now that it's not a contest entry. I might make a new board for this now, but felt like adding this so you can see my whole process.

Image time:

After writing the theory behind this project down I gathered a reference board for the vehicle.

And for the environment, with some ideas for composition looking at car photography and advertisements.

Here's a collection of the traditional pen and marker sketching that came after the references, looking for that luxury hovercar 100 years in the future. The middle one is the concept I chose.

That's the start. I made a big mistake in keeping the subdivisions low, adding detail when I hadn't even locked the basic forms down by applying the subdivision. This bit me quite hard when I noticed my mistake, the lack of practice for the past years really showed right then and there.

Here I still hadn't noticed the flawed workflow, but wanted to overpaint on an actual 3D model.

Before this I noticed the problem and went back, then painted over the new model and changed the concept a bit. After this I started to rush it, trying to meet the deadline (not a good idea)

Here's the current model inside Blender.

And here it is inside Unreal Engine 4. This model has no textures with realtime lighting and shadows. From here I'm taking a step back, more planning, learning and working towards a finished scene. It's a suitably big project, but like all big projects it has many small things that make it whole and by tackling those small things one at a time with a proper plan behind the project I think I can make something nice in the end. I am aiming for a month more work on this, still treating it like a project with a deadline (albeit a more flexible one).

Feedback and discussion is liked and encouraged, that's why I'm here :D

Replies

• SkyWay
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 14
    Just to get my mind out of the design of it all for a while I decided to dive into Substance Designer to get a better understanding of it in general. I do need that anyway so why not now  :p

Showing something like "this is where I started" is nice so here's my first experiment after I got through one of the YouTube tutorials...and it was kinda weird as you can tell (and not at all what the tutorial had, I'm using SD4 so I didn't even have all the nodes needed) and it's clear that there was not much thought put into it:
    I had a good hard questioning look at it, experimented more with the nodes I had available and started to deconstruct some reference images. Here's where it's at now:

And inside UE4 with a basic landscape material: