Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Texture not appearing on parts of Mesh

Hello, I'm just looking for some help in solving a problem I seem to be having with a project I started. I'm super new to DDO, by a couple days now, and am trying to teach myself the program after purchasing it a while back. I imported this mesh of multiple parts from Maya (I made sure to delete history and freeze transforms after uving.) and this seems to happen. There are materials applied to the piece but they don't seem to be appearing.

I've tried re-importing the mesh into DDO, re-exporting it from Maya again and it's still the same problem on the same piece. Did I perhaps miss a step?

- Chevon (Student / Junior Modeler)

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    How many mesh groups are you using, Chevon?
  • ChevonPorsnuk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe there are 8. I am still trying to get used to workflow and the do's and don'ts of the program. Would that be something I should watch or keep an eye on and could it possibly be causing this problem?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You need one mesh group per UV set. Another way to explain it is that everything which belongs on one texture must be combined as a single object. If you have a tank that requires a texture for the turret, chassis, wheels, tracks, and interior, you'd have five mesh groups in DDO. Each group requires its own input maps at project creation which define the masking parameters that DDO will use for the procedural aspects of your texture work.

You'll need to create a new project to work around this for now. :)

Keep in mind that the amount of mesh groups in your project determines how many Photoshop documents are created. If you have eight groups, that's a minimum of 32 *.PSDs that DDO will have to create. Even at 2k resolution, that's a lot of RAM. Be sure that you group per UV set before exporting to minimize performance impacts and minimize any additional work needed to combine disparate *.PSDs into a single *.PSD per texture type per object.
  • ChevonPorsnuk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, sounds good! I will keep this in mind for my future projects. It's a shame I will have to make a new project to finish this but it will be more practice and since I'm more experienced I will work much faster. Thank you for your insight, I will be sure to use this advice when I restart the project. I hope it will help with the problem I was having.

Thank you very much! =)