Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Substance painter hard surface study

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
sgv3dmax polycounter lvl 15
Something I am working on during my short lunch breaks at work in Substance Painter.  This is a work in progress at the moment. Would love to get some feedback

Replies

• sgv3dmax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup. Still working on it. Currently I am using Substance Painter and will be finishing this in it :)
  • sgv3dmax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Looking at some images of old forklifts, a few things stand out to me.

1) I think the edge wear is too prolific. You have it covering most edges very uniformly. Some areas have more wear than others, but the contrast here is kind of weak. Some areas, like the back, would have quite a bit of edge wear from bumping and scraping into things. Whereas other areas, like the inside near the seat, would have almost none.
    The front in particular would have by far the most wear, but there isn't a lot there.
    You also tend to have it covering the entire edge almost equally. It needs to be broken up much more.

2) The rain wear on the roof is sharp and possibly excessive. Such a thing builds up over a great length of time, and the rain would not continually hit the same locations.
    It's also a little strange that what rain wear you have is only on the roof, despite the fact that other areas would just as easily be exposed, like the back and the lift.
    I also don't think a forklift would get much exposure to rain in the first place. They're mostly used inside, and certainly stored inside.

3) The device overall has a lot of wear, but the seat is surprisingly clean. It could probably use some tears and duct tape.

4) The Nissan logo should probably be broken up/scratched a little.

Good job overall though. The model in particular is very nicely detailed.
  • sgv3dmax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimwolf said:
    Looking at some images of old forklifts, a few things stand out to me.

1) I think the edge wear is too prolific. You have it covering most edges very uniformly. Some areas have more wear than others, but the contrast here is kind of weak. Some areas, like the back, would have quite a bit of edge wear from bumping and scraping into things. Whereas other areas, like the inside near the seat, would have almost none.
    The front in particular would have by far the most wear, but there isn't a lot there.
    You also tend to have it covering the entire edge almost equally. It needs to be broken up much more.

2) The rain wear on the roof is sharp and possibly excessive. Such a thing builds up over a great length of time, and the rain would not continually hit the same locations.
    It's also a little strange that what rain wear you have is only on the roof, despite the fact that other areas would just as easily be exposed, like the back and the lift.
    I also don't think a forklift would get much exposure to rain in the first place. They're mostly used inside, and certainly stored inside.

3) The device overall has a lot of wear, but the seat is surprisingly clean. It could probably use some tears and duct tape.

4) The Nissan logo should probably be broken up/scratched a little.

Good job overall though. The model in particular is very nicely detailed.
    Thanks for the feedback Grimwolf. I will be working on those in my next update..will take a little while though :)
    Plans are there to add small details into the seat like duct-tapes, fabric tear, etc. Next phase is in-depth small details. I was just finishing up the base texture bakes and all. Next will be working on micro details on everywhere. :)