Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Material ID map not loading correctly

Omegas_Catoms28
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Omegas_Catoms28 polycounter lvl 2
I've been having some issues getting my material ID map to load correctly on my low poly mesh. I noticed my mesh seems to divide into several meshes when I import, I'm thinking this might be why my material ID map is only loading on part of the mesh. I'm exporting the low poly from maya 2015, and I just downloaded the latest 2.2.1 patch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Omegas!

Your ID map is loading correctly. What is happening here is that you've only applied that ID to one mesh group. Each separate object inside of your modeling package is considered to be an individual object with its own 0-1 UVs in the SUITE. You'll need to combine your objects per UV set in order to avoid this.
  • Omegas_Catoms28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've only imported one .obj. The mesh is a combined object exported from maya. I don't understand why I'm getting all those additional poly groups? -- I was able to get the map to show on one mesh, I just re-imported my obj to maya and when exported deselected multiple groups. I am having another issue though, when I try to add a material based on the color id, the materials dialog box doesn't open. I also don't get any results from clicking select a material based on the id color, the materials box doesn't open. I tried to add a plastic, just to test things and it looks like it started to render out, then stopped. Nothing is showing up in the layers box.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Meshes can can contain more than one object. In your case, the exported *.OBJ contained several objects. You'll need to ensure that your exported model is a single object per UV set.

May I see a video of the material problem you've described?
  • Omegas_Catoms28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry the program I have to capture footage isn't working. Any recommended free programs?

Here's a project newly created, I clicked on new material --> plastic --> polypropylene --> no layers created, even though quixel looks like it begins to render new layers, then stops.  (screen capture 5 is what happens when I click on new layer, screen capture 6 is after I've clicked create. Nothing happens)
    It also seems like the project isn't being created. Shouldn't I see my mesh group in there named as Pillartop, not defaultobject?

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You could try using Nvidia's Shadowplay to record this if you're using an Nvidia video card. Perhaps trying a new project may help - once the mesh groups are consolidated per UV set, this issue may disappear entirely. :)
  • Omegas_Catoms28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I have shadowplay trying to figure out how to record the video though :/ .. 

"Consolidated per uv set"? I have one mesh now, and in maya there is only one uv set map1. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Did you create a new project using that mesh to see if this issue persists?
  • Omegas_Catoms28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried creating several new projects, also tried using a different model and ID map and I'm getting the same results. I think I'm going to try reverting to older versions, but I don't know why this isn't working. I've used quixel to texture assets before. :/ 

I have one other question, could I upgrade from 2.0 to 2.2.1 patch, could that be creating issues if I'm jumping from different versions? 
  • Omegas_Catoms28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jonathan, I reverted to 2.0 and for whatever reason my ID maps are working and the materials are working!

Thank you for you quick and immediate responses, I really appreciate it!
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    No worries, glad to see you're sorted out! :)

You could try out the 2.2.1 pre-release 3 patch to see if it helps you at all. Otherwise, a clean install is never a bad idea.