Home Contests & Challenges Archives Enlighten Contest

[WIP] Enlighten Contest — No man's journey

null
Offline / Send Message
marsh null
Hi Polycount!

That's pretty much all, but it has little to do with the main topic so...
Here's my approach to the contest :
I won't lie, I really admire the fact that the contest is highly focused in the use of color and composition rather than aditional props or whatever, so I really want to try some really arty shots, pushing the limits of light and color balance.
I've been walking around The Courtyard for awhile and something's hit me hard: This huge building looks at the same time old and new somehow, seems like it was built centuries ago but people are still using it for whatever porpouse ; probabbly the original main utility of the building got lost in time long ago. Since the contest allows up to 6 images, I think I'm gonna submit 2 types of diferent shots:
  • Individual arty shots with high focus on color and composition.
  • Series of 2-3 images with a specific ambience and tone each one, which all together comunicate some kind of implicit story / journey.
I know right this all sounds pretty cool but these are just words, so now it's Work Time.
I'll be posting my updates here!

Replies

• marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    Well, today I've spent most of the day getting closer to The Courtyard ( not the most organized project I've seen ) and to how its lighting systems work. Didn't have much time, but I've managed to finish this shot.

I like the color work, but can't help to think composition could be better somehow.
    Also, working on this shot I got another, almost the same but with a different sand shading. I can't really decide which I prefer.

The first one looks more peaceful, but this one has something hypnotizing to me, I don't really know.
    Tomorrow I'll be doing something less arty, more inside the bulding rather than bird's eye view.
  • marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    Here I am with new uploads.
    Today I wanted to to something more easy on the eyes, but I just couldn't help it and ended up with this highly brightness shot.

I cannot lie, I DO love Cyberpunk, and TBH the texture work isn't that great here, but I wanted to focus on the lighting, plus I've got some cooler ideas I want to work next. Fun fact, here it's ALL about the composition ; here's how the scene looks with all VFX off

To get the final shot I added vignette, bloom, tonemapping, lens disort, chromatic aberration, noise, color correction and global fog.
  • marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    Hi Polycount community, here I am again, with fresh new uploads.
    First, I've got a shot I got done yesterday here

The overall scene doesn't look that good TBH, but I lke the colors and how the smoke merges with the sun. I was trying to do something way more dark, but ended up like this ; not my favorite, but still uploading it ^^

Today, I wanted to make something different, focusing the vibe rather than the image itself. As I stated in the first post, I wanted to do series of 2-3 images telling some kind of journey / story, so this is what I made today.

This is a bright, colorful shot of what I imagine could be a space for meetings or similar. However, when things stop being useful, people don't usually care and let them die out in time. It's normal, nothing to worry about, but I like the idea of coming back to see the ashes of what once was full of life.

This is the result

Not gonna lie, I really like this shot, and the only problem I see is that dark areas are somehow not very dark, and because of tone mapping maybe or image compression, it look a bit weird if you look closely enough. But still pretty neat to me, probably will try to improve that and save it as one of my final submits.

That's pretty much all for today.
  • AlexMercer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting shot, it's almost like an interrogation scene in a theatre ;)
  • marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    Thx @AlexMercer ! I think I'm gonna work on more shots like this, playing with indoors rather that outdoors.
  • marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    well, I've been on holiday, but I left this shot almot finished, so today I goit it finally done.
    Here it is

Here I am again with the dark set-ups and the smoke.
    I'm trying to recreate the vibes of a dying society, walls speak by themselves.
    I like this one, but the AA on the chairs and the shadows are honestly quite shitty.

Now I think I'm gonna work on a similar shot, but with a bright set-up, which honestly is way more difficult.

I'm not hoping to finish it today, so this is pretty much all for now!
  • marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    Today's upload

Probabbly my best upload so far. Few days left, I think I'm gonna make 1-2 more shots and submit my best ones.
    With this shot I just wanted to make something more colorful, easy on the eyes. I'm quite tired today but tomorrow I'll try to upload my last shots.
  • marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    Hi again Polycount community ^^

I bring new uploads.
    Final submissions thread is now open, but since contest deadline has been extended I may work some more shots.
    These are today's shots :

This is a very very simple shot. just playing with lighting, I don't think I'm gonna submit this one, but still like the color work + font styles. The point here was to make a smooth transition from blue to orange, but I don't really see it haha

Did I mention I love cyberpunk? 'Cause I do.
    The point here is that there is no ambient / sun light. Every thing is lit by artificial light, which fits the mood of a cyberpunk future. You know, lots of neon lights and lost thoughts in the air.
    I like this shot.

I may work 1-2 more shots, probably more cyberpunk and then I'll rest for the days left until contest ends, so I can get my head cool and decide which are my best entries.

That's all for today!
  • marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    Well, 2 days until the end of the contest, here is my last entry.

Not much to say, just trying to emulate a comic / toon look over a very similar shot to the first one.
    Now I'm gonna do my submission.
  • bent_vector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice and unique look!
  • marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marsh null
    @bent_vector thanks man, can't wait to know the winners ^^