Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal Study: Dormancy

dralex789
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
dralex789 polycounter lvl 7
Hey folks, just wrapped up my last little study. Took way longer than expected but was a fun journey.  Lots of learning.  

https://vimeo.com/174220652

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSHGh7D_aCs&

Scene was done in Unreal 4 with an emphasis as usual on lighting and VFX. Smoke sims were done in FumeFX, terrain in World Machine with GeoGlyph, textures made in WM, Photoshop, Substance Designer and Painter, and a few were RDT Scan based from the substance store.

Replies

• allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    Gorgeous. I would love to see your ground texture.
  • Armangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armangelo polycounter lvl 6
    Excellent work. A moody piece telling a lot with good choices.
  • dralex789
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dralex789 polycounter lvl 7
    Armangelo said:
    Excellent work. A moody piece telling a lot with good choices.
    Gorgeous. I would love to see your ground texture.
    Thanks guys! I'll probably post a few textures and farther breakdowns later in the week.  Also hoping to share some of the smoke sims and other elements but it's a bit of a complex scene to break down
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I hit play thinking i would just be watching a really pretty enviro study but then the audio led up to the explosion and i was pleasantly surprised! The whole video up to that point and the fumefx effect itself was great but everything after feels as if it all happened a little fast and isn't quite as pro as the rest. The shockwave grew quite quickly and then it was upon the viewer super fast. It gave me the feeling the mountain was a lot closer in 3d space than it appeared to be, which made it feel small. Also i think it'd be cool to get a little bounce/tumble on the camera as it falls instead of just sticking in the dirt which felt a little forced, perhaps cracking the lens as it hits the ground and bounces rather than immediately? Lastly, the quality of the pfx cloud that rushes into the camera isn't up to the quality of the rest of the vid imo, though i'm not sure what you could really do differently.

These are all just nitpicks really, it's a solid piece regardless but i thought i'd throw them up :)