Home Technical Talk

Problem with Maya Beziers: new beziers' tangents all break by default

(I'm on Windows 7, Maya 2015 SP6)

I have no idea when did this start, but recently all newly created beziers have their tangents broken by default. The creation tool worked properly (both the Bezier and the Curve-3 Bezier tools), but once the tool's completed, all the tangents break. Using the Smooth Tangents option on each of them only repositioned them but they still don't "follow" the parent CV. Oddly enough, the previous files that have smooth tangent beziers do have everything moving as they should, but making new beziers in those files still produced broken tangent beziers.

Tried the following with no dice:
  • Converting a NURBS curve to a Bezier curve (back and forth)
  • Duplicating the smooth Beziers that actually work properly (i.e. unbroken)
  • MEL commands of the Smooth Tangent options (namely "bezierAnchorPreset -p 0;" and "bezierAnchorState -sm 1 -em 1;")
  • Hitting my head against the desk
I could keep invoking the Smooth Tangents option every time I edit them but it's getting really annoying, and I'd like to find a fix for it now rather than letting it be a key problem to some big steaming mess down the road. :c Any ideas would be appreciated

Replies

• sirenblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuked my userPrefs.mel file and got it working again. Tried to find which property/setting was the exact cause, but after looking at the long list I noped out.
  • Old Wither
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Old Wither polycounter lvl 4
    I was seeing this problem as well. Didn't want to delete my prefs so spent like 1.5 hours combing through my prefs file, deleting stuff and testing. Ended up discovering that deleting the lines related to symmetric modelling fixed the problem. I think basically you just can't have symmetry enabled when editing a bezier curve? I hadn't encountered this before, so maybe it's something else, but disabling symmetry fixed the problem for me.
  • nekifo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When in Component mode, the bezier handles act as broken. Switching back to Object or World will make it work again.