Home Adobe Substance

.fbx file triangulates in SP?

christopheduron
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
christopheduron polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone,

I exported a pistol as an .fbx file out of 3ds max and then imported it into substance painter 2. However with this particular .fbx file it always seems to import it with all the queds being triangulated even though i didn't ask to triangulate it on creating the .fbx.

SP2:

3ds max:

I worked on a helmet before this pistol without any quads turning into triangles. It just makes it a bit annoying to work with when having to use the polygon fill tool a lot.

When i import this same .fbx file back into 3ds max it's not triangulated at all, so it must be something SP2 is doing.

Any ideas?

Replies

• kio
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    check your fbx export settings?

-turn off tirgangulate
    -turn of preserve edge orientation

(I dont know if substance painter supports quads or whatever, i just had the same thing with max -> maya a  few days ago..)
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thing is, i did the exact same thing with the exact same export settings on my previous project without any issues. Both times triangulation was off, but preserve edge orientation was on (honestly, i don't even know what that does).

I just tested it when turning edge orientation off aswel and it still renders out triangles.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I'm not a max user but I believe this is related to the fact you have still modifiers enabled on your object and that you need to flatten them down first before exporting. Otherwise the export system will triangulate the mesh.
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Froyok,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, i was having a holiday :).

Anyway i checked out the pistol and all the modifiers had already been collapsed. To be sure i quickly made a simple object and extruded some things here and there and i had this as a result.

Pretty strange as you can see. Most of the quads have remained. However there is a single quad in this mesh that's been triangulated. Pretty weird. When i import the .fbx file back into max it does not have this problem. Both this 'box' and the pistol from before only show quads and no tris.
    This isn't a major problem, but it does save some time when painting with polygon fill if quads remain quads. Do you perhaps have some other suggestions?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Could you send the mesh to me ? I will look into it.
  • christopheduron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There you go. Hope it helps!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    My usual fix for any fbx issues is to snapshot the object and export the resultant editable mesh. It'll sort out most concave face problems and will also prevent most uv vertex ordering issues.
  • MrVain87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrVain87 polycounter lvl 6
    It's a bit late (over a year ago)... Still.. I found a way to get polygons and not tris. 

-Place a "Turn to poly" modifier on your mesh before exporting (No collapse needed)
    -Uncheck preserve edge orientation (in the export settings dialog box)

Voilà ! 

If I don't add the modifier before exporting, I get a message and it won't override the existing file (nor save a new one if none exists)
  • Shveyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shveyk polycounter lvl 3
    After the import slightly modified mesh from the 3ds max in the substance painter through .fbx I got not only triangulation but also artifacts during the baking Curvature map. 
    But I noticed that previous successful import was from Editable Poly with Projection modifier on top. After adding Projection modifier (you don't need Amount in that case) and exporting in the .fbx I got good import results in the SP without triangulation and artifacts during the baking Curvature map.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Adding the projection modifier effectively turns the object into an editable mesh so this works for the reasons I outlined in my earlier post. 
  • Ricky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ricky polycounter lvl 12
    Having this same issue from Maya and Cinema trying to export fbx or obj. Normals areall set up to be soft in Maya and unlocked from Cinema 4D, UVs all look fine etc. It's always the same mesh that comes in triangulated in the model. It has no N-Gons. Maya Cleanup is happy with it. No idea what else it could be...
  • Mach_Nasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got into modeling not to long ago. I've established a work flow and pumped out multiple textured objects. Just ran into the same issue.

How to fix:
    For me, it was the material. If you don't assign a material in blender, substance painter assigns a default material... made of triangles.
    All ya gotta do is assign a material to the mesh in your modeling program before exporting.