Home General Discussion

A question about selling your 3D work.

Orestis_K
null
Hello polycount. 

Straight to the point, i am interested in selling my 3D  artwork (in the future, still early in the learning process). to my knowledge this can be done through the Unreal and Unity asset stores and Turbosquid (those are the sites i know of i bet there are more). Is there any one with experience with these sites? Are there others out there, better or worse? Is it worth it? 

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Orestis_K said:
    Hello polycount. 

Straight to the point, i am interested in selling my 3D  artwork (in the future, still early in the learning process). to my knowledge this can be done through the Unreal and Unity asset stores and Turbosquid (those are the sites i know of i bet there are more). Is there any one with experience with these sites? Are there others out there, better or worse? Is it worth it? 

Thanks in advance.
    I've had good experience with the Unreal marketplace. I've heard good things about the Unity marketplace, but haven't really used it. Turbosquid is worthless, in my experience. Even if you put your work up both there and other places, you will always be hoping that customers actually get it elsewhere, due to the MASSIVE royalties on Turbosquid (which they do nothing to earn).
    There's Gumroad as well, but my experience there has also been a bit dubious. I tried putting up an item, but no one would buy it matter how cheap I made it. I ended up making it free, and now I'm getting 2-3 downloads a week, so exposure was not the issue.
    I get the impression that everyone might have raced their prices to the bottom on Gumroad, and now they're in a similar situation to mobile app stores where most people viewing it are willing to pay little, if anything.
  • Orestis_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orestis_K null
    Thanks for the insight. I did look at Turbosquid's fees and the 50% fee did seem a little too much. I will take a further look at the Unreal Marketplace thanks.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orestis_K said:
    Hello polycount. 

Thanks in advance.
    I sell stuff on the Asset store but haven't made anything new in over a year.  You can make good money if you put effort into it. 

I still get significant money every month from stuff I made four years ago.  It's a great way to make a side income.

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I did sell 3D stuff in the past, and my best experience was with the unity asset store, still getting some money every month, but probably won't continue. I'm guessing the ue4 marketplace is also a great place to sell, haven't done that myself though

as for gumroad, there isn't really a developer market hanging out there, as well as it's just a platform to sell but you have to do the marketing etc yourself.