Home Technical Talk

Game asset modeling- Buildings

ahmedclassic
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ahmedclassic polycounter lvl 5
Hi!

Im new too game asset modeling and i have been trying to model a building that will go well in Unity game Engine. I was hoping to ask a couple of questions and get some tips from you guys that have been doing this a Little bit longer than i have.

So...lets say that the base mesh of my building is a box and i would like too add som details too the face like windows and other stuff. one thing that i cant figure out is - is it okey to make a new box and just bring it Close to the face of the building? or do i have to connect the two elements together by welding it into one single object? attaching a pic to make clear what im trying to say.

like if i wanted to make this kind of detail on the face. what is the most optimal way to do so?

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    There are a lot of factors that contribute to whether or not to have these sorts of elements be single-meshes, however for such a clear material break where you don't care about the shading or UV seams between the two pieces, it's fine just to have a new set polygons near the wall, placed flush against them. For clarity though: this can still be a single "object" when you bring it into the game engine. Not all polygons need to be connected in order to count as one object.
  • ahmedclassic
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmedclassic polycounter lvl 5
    okej great! Thank you for yor resonse!