Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BlueScratch Scar 17 Assault Rifle textured

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Azurenito polycounter lvl 4

Hi everyone!

I just textured the Scar 17 assault rifle. I don't want to make it look like the original, instead with the Sci-Fi look. Plus blue my fav color. 
Any feedback will help!

Thank you! :p 

Replies

• Azurenito
  • Azurenito
  • Azurenito
  • kaoselite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaoselite null
    Very good! I love the scar H
  • Tim Lewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim Lewis polycounter lvl 7
    I think your model and bake look pretty good, but you should take another look at the texturing. Your material doesn't feel very defined and your scratches are too uniform. Are the blue areas suppose to be painted metal? Or is it a type of tough polymer? Why would the barrel be painted? Why is the grip made of metal?

I'd take a step back and do 3 things:

1) Revisit reference. Even when approaching something sci-fi or fantasy, having a solid real-world analogue can help inform your art. This example shows a good range of material types.

2) Define the materials. Your plastics and metals look too much alike. Plastics on firearms tend to be very matte and exposed metals tend to have high specular & gloss values.

3) Add informed wear & tear. Imagine how the weapon would be used and what sort of wear and tear would build up over time. Protruding surfaces or areas the gun would rest on might get more scratches on their edges, while crevasses might get more dirt build up. The plastics could fade with age or residue could discolor the barrel. The magazines might have more scratches from being removed often. Don't forget the smaller details either - even sci-fi guns will probably have some text on them: serial numbers, labels for the safety, a manufacturer, etc.
  • Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This so much feedback I could have hope for! Thank you so much TimTimSalaBim! Yeah the grip might need to be plastic. The blue scratch suppose to be like a skin design. I will definitely look at the material vs. realworld use and revise what parts should be paint or metal. 
    What do you think of the blue/black metal look? Is it interesting? Sci-Fi feeling at all?

Again this my first thread and never thought I be getting this in-depth feedback. Thanks man!
  • Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This so much feedback I could have hope for! Thank you so much TimTimSalaBim! Yeah the grip might need to be plastic. The blue scratch suppose to be like a skin design. I will definitely look at the material vs. realworld use and revise what parts should be paint or metal. 
    What do you think of the blue/black metal look? Is it interesting? Sci-Fi feeling at all?

Again this my first thread and never thought I be getting this in-depth feedback. Thanks man!
  • Azurenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This so much feedback I could have hope for! Thank you so much TimTimSalaBim! Yeah the grip might need to be plastic. The blue scratch suppose to be like a skin design. I will definitely look at the material vs. realworld use and revise what parts should be paint or metal.