Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Finnish military equipment straight from the garrison

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
asutekku null
Greetings!

I currently serve as an conscript in Finnish military and there are some so called special services available and one of them is to produce 3D models to the VBS military simulator. We get assignments based on what the trainers want to see in the simulator and of course tidying up some older models which in most cases means fully recreating them from the scratch. I have permission from my Major to post these pictures as long as I don't show anything classified. ;)

For the most of the time we don't have any definitive deadlines so I've taken this opportunity to train myself to use new techniques and tools. Last week I found out Quixel suite being 40% off and I've wanted to get a proper 3D painting tool for a while that seemed like a reasonable purchase. And let me tell you, I absolutely love that piece of software/plugin! It has made me to learn to bake proper normal maps instead of just using face weighted normals (which are cool for models which don't require normal maps to chamfer edges) as most masks require curvature maps to function properly.

Anyhow, here's my first result from using it. Valmet Rk 62 is an assault rifle used by Finnish army. It took me about 5 days to get it into this condition (modelling included) without knowing anything about how to use NDO or DDO. The model is 6656 polys and rocks 4096x4096 texture. (It's big because I wanted a lot of detail and conscripts are seeing it from really up close.) Next up when I get back to the garrison are some tanks and a player character!

But as always, feedback is appreciated and I'd love to hear how I could improve the model or some areas of it. After all, this is going to be used for several years to come. Also feel free to ask any questions.