Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Cpt Albatross

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
CptAlbatross polycounter lvl 4
Hello world! I guess this would be a good place for a first post. I guess a little bit about me: I'm a 3D Artist with 4 years experience in the Oil and Gas multimedia industry, but am trying to transition over into the games industry as Modeler. I'm not really sure what type of modeler I want to aim for as I generally like to do everything, but I hear environment artist are in greater need these days so I should probably aim for that. In my free time, I enjoy long walks on the beach in GTA 5 and staring at giant robot figures I can't afford.

With that out of the way, time for the art! I've got a couple of projects running at the moment, but my current one is an exercise in low poly modeling and PBR texturing with Quixel 2.0. I had the high poly model sitting on my desktop from a previous project so I figured it would be great to work on. I'm not really sure what my target poly count for this should be, I guess I'm going for a "next gen" look for it, but I'm pretty sure my poly count is still too high for that. I'll probably go back and reduce the poly count once I have everything modeled in. Anyways, this is what I've got so far. I still need to add the rest of the stand of the gopro and a log for the camera to sit on before moving on to texturing. Comments and critiques are welcomed.

Low Poly Camera

Low Poly Camera Wires

Low Poly Case

Low Poly Case Wires

High Poly

Replies

• CptAlbatross
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

Quick update on the GoPro stuff. Low poly model is done and ready for unwrapping and texturing. Also found a method for the log, although the current model I have is way too high poly (7500 polys) so I'll need to spend some time refining the mesh to something significantly lower. I was considering having two map sets for this project to preserve resolution, but I would like a second opinion on this. One of them would be the hard shell case. It has a ton of little parts so I'm worried that I might lose too much quality if I try to stuff the GoPro geometry in there as well. 

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. C&C are welcomed!

• CptAlbatross
    Offline / Send Message
    Update to my little GoPro project. It was pretty cool learning how to make the LCD screen texture. I think I'm finally getting a hang of how PBR texturing works. Next is the clear casing protective casing and then whatever post work I need to do in Marmoset. Comments and critiques welcomed!

• CptAlbatross
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, it's not perfect, but there was a lot learned and I had fun making it. Let me know what you guys think.

• CptAlbatross
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, I knew I hadn't posted on this thread in a minute, but this is embarrassing. Well I did a few things recently. Redid the renders to my White Knight and finally started learning Substance Designer.

I have a bit of a love hate with this model, mostly because at the time I didn't know how to bake cylinder edges and was new to NDo and texture baking altogether. The sculpt is still pretty solid and I still like the design, although I remember there being a lot of trial and error moments in Mudbox.

The UVs are complete shit though.

Helmet and sword 

Body

Environment

• CptAlbatross
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some Designer stuff. Still novice level work, but I'm really excited about what can be done in the program. People like Daniel Thiger and Robert Wiliniski are popping out some crazy looking work and I'm aiming to reach their level some day.  Also huge props to Wes McDermott for his Academy video series. Really made it easy to jump in and start learning.

Final Shader Graph

Knots Graph

Wood Pattern Graph

Planks Graph

I've got one more piece to upload that I worked on this month. I'm rendering the footage out now.
  • CptAlbatross
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo Polypeeps,

I'm still here, still working on hot nonsense. Here's a little prop for an environment I'm working on, powered by meme magic! More to come as I complete it.