Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: How do you keep selections and heightmaps different layers in ndo?

cj31387
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
cj31387 polycounter lvl 5
I made a selection then filled it with a color, then made another selection and filled it with a different color. Then i did convert heightmap and it kept it all one layer, shouldn't it be multiple layers based on the different colors?

Also how do i save the selections or colors so that i can use them to mask for DDO, have certain NDO layers be different smart materials in DDO?

I am texture making right now, not using a 3d mesh btw.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    What option were you using to create a height map? Did you create normals with NDO or were you trying to convert random color values to height?

If you're familiar with Photoshop, the easiest way to transfer NDO details to DDO masks is to create masks from the transparency of each NDO layer and turn those selections into colors. Or you can fill each one with white, load them into DDO's DynaMask, click Paint Mask in Photoshop, and CTRL+SHIFT+V to paste in place, then hit Accept Mask.
  • cj31387
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was making selections then filling with different shades of grey white and black. All in one pass and then using clicking on the heightmap to ndo button. Is it because i was doing them all at once, but with different shades?
  • cj31387
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i figured out how to make a mask from transparency but whats the best way to transfer it to ddo? I've had a problem where if i go from ndo straight to ddo i dont get scaling on the smart materials , so what i do instead is create something in ndo, then export the normal map, load a NEW project in ddo with ndo closed and continue from there then it works fine. But whats the easiest way to save my masks and bring them into a new DDO project?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    An easier method to do what you'd like is to open your height map and click the Convert X (Where X is the type of layer you're converting) to Normal button in NDO, instead of using the Map Converter. You'll get more precise control over the document this way.

The method I mentioned earlier for transferring masks is the best choice given the information you've provided. :)