Home Technical Talk

Normal map bake with hard edges/separated shells won't turn out smooth

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ivarhill polycounter lvl 3
I got a bit of an issue with normal baking I figured maybe someone could enlighten me on...

I've read through the stickied/wiki posts around here on the topic to see if I'm missing something obvious, but so far I haven't figured it out. Basically I'm getting seams/odd edges where I got hard edges in my lowpoly mesh - all the shells are separated where I got hard edges, which to my understanding should translate well in the bake.

Here's a sample part of my lowpoly mesh (note the hard edge at the front):

With baked normal applied:

Closeup to see the seams/artifacts:

The UV shells are all separate:

Here's the highpoly for reference:

As far as I understand normal baking, having hard edges in the lowpoly and separating these edges in separate UV shells should generate a result essentially perfectly smooth. As can be noted above, the parts with smooth edges and faces within the same UV shell do turn out perfectly fine, but where I have hard edges/separated shells, it's not working well. Is there anything I'm missing here? For baking I'm using xNormal, having tested all sorts of parameters. I also tried using Maya's Transfer Maps, both with and without a cage, but I'm running into the same issue. Would appreciate any advice! :)

Replies