Home General Discussion

WAYWO usage

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 said:
    I'm like a silent polycounter... Post restrictions it's not a good idea, I would be forced to post a lot more and I probably bail.

The new changes are great, and now WAYWO is far better, we're good now right?
    I love that the waywos are easier to browse. But I hate having to enforce rules, this really is not fun. I'm looking forward to (and we're working towards) a more automated setup.

If you're more of a lurker than a contributor, should we encourage this? Lurkers are leeches, in a way. Taking but not giving back. Do we want to give lurkers the same privileges as contributors? I'm not so sure this is beneficial to the community as a whole.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I go through WAYWO to get a sense of trends, standards, find artists I didn't know about, see a pulse of what's happening in game art. If something is particularly good, 99.23% of the time there will be either a thread link, or a portfolio/artstation link, which serves for further exploration and commentary. The other 0.77% of the time you can go to their profile and browse their threads. I've never seen someone post something cool in there and then hit a brick wall trying to find out more about it

In all my years polycounting I haven't looked to WAYWO for discussion, critiques, or debates. It's just a topline report of what everyone is doing. It's a shameless self-promotion vehicle and it's useful to have a specific area for that. People saying "shameless cross promotion" even became a meme in there. There's value in having a designated space for low-context updates / images

Just two cents: don't mess around with it, it works great.

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool

If you're more of a lurker than a contributor, should we encourage this? Lurkers are leeches, in a way. Taking but not giving back. Do we want to give lurkers the same privileges as contributors? I'm not so sure this is beneficial to the community as a whole.

Yes, they are beneficial to the community. They might not be active on the boards, but still talk to other artist in real life and spread the word, which might lead to new members who contribute. You are not limiting access to your wiki (the whole collection of your knowledge), but you want make it selective about who gets to post where? I mean it is already always tough to enter a community of strangers, also there are many WIP-threads that don't get comments and it might get the feeling of only long term members and industry veterans getting the attention so adding a barrier for newcomers to post at the WAYWO might just impose another layer of the feeling 'you are not good enough for us'.

• tulkas09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    Well, each one should choose how to contribute, as Biomag said I've been spreading how great polycount is for over 4 years here on Spain. Restrict polycount more for new people it's a pretty bad idea, as I've said I've been at a professional level only one an a half year, give me time.

If you reject people that don't want to contribute you are going to reject new people as polycount is going to be more exclusive and elitist. Good 3d artist are less afraid of showing their awesome models and explain their awesome techniques.
  • Tony Green
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tony Green polycounter lvl 6
    2016 year. 1000px max. No resizing script.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2016 year. 1000px max. No resizing script.
    Yep, it's a bummer getting warned. I explained earlier in the thread why we don't have a script for this.

However it seems more people want this kind of curation, than those who don't want it. Do you remember what these threads were like before this?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Common image resizing scripts aren't foolproof either.  Images that are still loading don't report their size until they're done so they're huge on the page for some time
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've gotten blowback from multiple users about enforcing this, so we'll be taking a break for awhile. Let's see how it goes. 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've been chatting about this behind the scenes. We think the best solution is to let the community police itself.

We see this as an experiment in shared thread policing. The first stage was careful moderation, kind of getting the word out about what is acceptable behavior in a shared thread.

The next stage is now up to you... can you the community work towards what is in your shared interest?

If it doesn't work out, we'll try something else!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Maybe you could add a flag option for "gross misuse of texture resolution," for cases that go way above what's acceptable.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea. Added a button "Too Big". Which does nothing except lets someone know their post is too large. Is this something you all want? Reply with your thoughts.

Edit: We tried a "Too Big" button, but discarded the idea, info here.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    not liking the recent direction of pc, what with being caused a leech and being demoted to vertex:) I am thinking of hanging out at zbrush central insted tbh

I think there is a danger of having too many rules and regs so you end up strangling any freedom that we once had . The rot set in with that famous 'polycount is not your blog' post.

I preferred it when pc was a bit wilder

pc has become too pc
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear that Ruz!

We stopped enforcing the image limits, agreed it was too onerous. Slow browsing remains a problem though, our plan is to get an automated thing up, with no nags.

Yep, ranks have changed a bit. We felt post count is not that great as a rank indicator. People voted. Downside is everyone gets demoted.

I hear you though. Polycount has gotten much larger than it was back in the day, so that makes things tougher. How do you improve signal-to-noise with so much more noise? 

As we've become more of an industry thing, people have gotten more careful about what they post. Employers dig around in here. There are some topics people don't feel free to discuss in the open anymore, for fear of employment backlash. How do you solve that?

Anyhow, communities tend to ebb and flow. Hope to see you around again sometime.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well not sure how to make things better, maybe just simplify it a bit and bring back off topic discussion.
    aye it just feels though that after being here since about 2000, being demoted to vertex is a bit of a slap in the face( as if my entire contribution has been negated)
    love to see some gross political threads, nazis vs commies or something or the merits of penis tanks.
    I actually like the polycount front page best these days, with the big recaps, It's the forums that seem to have lost something over the years imho. mybe its not pc maybe its me who has changed. let's just be friends instead etc etc
    see yers alll later :)

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got complaints about the 3D WAYWO. Started moderating again, we'll see how this goes...
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2492664/#Comment_2492664

Moderation Note:
    We hate enforcing rules, but this thread is getting out of hand again. 
    Big images, PNGs, multiple images... these make each page load very slowly. 
    Instead of sending out Warnings, which everyone hates, we're just going to replace large images with this:
    (image removed by moderator for ignoring the rules. please be considerate of download times.)

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually maybe the better way to solve this is for moderators to simply put the big/numerous images inside a Spoiler. That way they don't cause a dl slowdown, but they're still visible to those who want to click.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently we're not posting any "edited" message.
    If you post more than one thing, we're just silently deleting the extra images, leaving the one embed. 
    If you post something gigantic, we'll just replace it with a screenshot.

Best thing is to make your own Topic, and post all the big stuff in there you want. Put a teaser image in Waywo and a link to your Topic.

Note: if you have your own thread on Polycount, we're more likely to Front-page your work. We favor discussion & feedback whenever possible!
  • karamveersingh
    hi all. i am new here. i know how to reply to a post here but don't know how to post your own atwork so others could see and give feedback. can anyone help me with this problem?.
    thanks for your time.
  • sacboi
  • DavidMcKenna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidMcKenna polycounter lvl 2
    What are the rules in regards to posting a link to Unity WebGL player?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go for it, that would be awesome! If it makes an embed, then it's no different from Youtube or Vimeo or Sketchfab. One embed or image per post. 

And the only reason for the one-per rule is to make it easier for people on mobile  or slow connections to view all your delicious arts.