Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

waseka's Illustrations- need some critiques

null
Offline / Send Message
waseka null
Hi everyone! Im waseka. Im fairly new to digital 2D stuff and I need some help with my illustrations. Im messing up in some places but dont know where. If you guys can point that out,that would help so much. 
Thankyou :)  

Replies

• _Hofsta_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Hofsta_ polycounter lvl 4

Hi Waseka, welcome to polycount!

I really like the colors and large shapes in this piece. A couple crits - The heavy depth of field blur around the edges of the hair is way too extreme, I would dial that back a bit so that it doesn't melt too far into the background. I also think the framing is a little to claustrophobic right now, especially with her one arm that's raised being seen at the edge of the frame. Try pulling it back a bit or adjusting the pose.

Right now the lips and eyes read sort of flat and painted onto her face. I would look at some reference for those elements. You can still achieve a certain dimensionality to the face without breaking the more cartoon like style.

Those are my only crits right now. I dig the style and the idea. Keep working at it and take it to the next level!  

• hykare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hykare polycounter lvl 4
    HI waseka! I really like this, especially the colors and the mood. I'm not sure how much help I can be, but here are some things I've noticed:

Her chin doesn't line up with the rest of her face. If you draw a straight line through the middle of the nose you'll see it.

I think you wanted to bring focus to the eyes by using pure black, but it doesn't match the rest of the lighting in the scene, where the darkest values are purple/navy. Also if you zoom out really far you see that the eyes get lost in the dark upper face anyway. Maybe some highlights on the cheeks or a bit of her eyes visible would work better?

She is lit from below which means the parts of her face that are facing that way will catch more light. The light is painted on the jaw and nose, but would also hit her upper lip, cheeks and under her eyebrows. Like this: http://img03.deviantart.net/773a/i/2008/182/0/1/spooky_face_1_by_chamberstock.jpg

I hope this helps. Keep at it, your style is awesome!
  • waseka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waseka null
    Tankyou so much _Hofsta_  I can see where ive gone wrong. Especially the eyes. Now that i see it it does look very flat. Thankyou so much for your input. This helped a lot :) 
  • waseka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waseka null
    Thankyou so much Hykare! Her chin does not align with her face thanks so much for pointing that out :0 and yes the eyes i will work on it. And thankyou so much for the reference! you have been such a big help! Thankyou so much :)