Home Technical Talk

Maya 2016 selection problem

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
mabden polycounter lvl 7
In maya 2016 when selecting polygons preselection highlights works fine.
But after last update it seems like there is some blind spot.
How to fix that?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in the preferences under Selection, there's an option for "Select faces by: whole face/center".
  • mabden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mabden polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, but that's not the same. Because as you see at the first gif, in earlier version it works even with "Select faces with: center"
    Highlight nearest component not working on polygons (works fine on vertices and edges though).
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't see that select faces with center is turned on in the first gif. I see that face centers are set to display, and the preselect highlight looks appropriate for whole face in the first, and face center in the second. I think it would be misleading to pre-highlight when in the face but if select by face center is on.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    There might be some confusion here with how this UI feature works.

If under Preferences > Settings you have the Select faces with option set to Center, face center dots will always display when in face mode (you can't disable them), and you will always need to have your cursor near the center for the pre-selection to highlight the face.

If the Select faces with option is set to Whole face, but under Display > Polygons > Face Centers is toggled on, the center face dots act merely as a visual indicator rather than a selection point. 

Basically, the Center or Whole face setting will override how your cursor interacts with the face component regardless of what your Face Centers display setting is.  If you want your cursor to pre-select anywhere on the polygon, set the Select faces with option to Whole face and if you also want face centers to display, enable them per-object under Display > Polygons > Face Centers, or as a default display behavior for all objects under Preferences > Polygons > Faces: Centers checkbox.
  • mabden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mabden polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys for the replies.
    But I still a little bit confused.
    What you are saying it's true, but only for the newest update.
    In previous version 'Select faces with: Center' works with box/lasso selection. But for a single click selection it highlighting even if mouse not close to the polygon center. So there is no blind spots like in extension 2.
    Here is side to side comparison with the same settings:
    -Select faces with: Center
    -Polygon display faces: Centers - off

• pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    It looks like the problem is solved in ext2 sp1, because I don't have this problem

Also, the marqueue selection works just fine too. I can slect just a tiny corner of polygon to get the whole selected.

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah that does seem different, maybe they introduced a bug in 2016 that you just got used to :expressionless:

If you want original 2016's functionality back, you just need to change the Select faces with setting to Whole face and then just have Face Centers turned on under the Display > Polygons menu.
  • Ingwarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ingwarr polycounter lvl 7
    and one more problem with selection

Maya 2016

2016 ext 2 sp1

• pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    What are your viewport settings? OpenGL Core (compatibility mode)? Actually, VP 2.0 is very sensitive to videocard and drivers. In 2016 I had enormous amount of selection problems of such kind. Fortunately, in 2016.5 they're gone - at least in my case.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Ingwarr said:
    and one more problem with selection

Maya 2016

2016 ext 2 sp1

as with the lasso tool...

you will get better response/accuracy with the paint selection when the brush radius encompasses a majority of a components area ( over half, bout 3/4 works best fer me ).
    Same for lasso...
    if you were to lasso a thin snake shape on that same selection attempt, the result would be the same response/accuracy problem.
    Where the same lasso selection fat enough to encompass about 3/4 of each components area will reward with predictable results.

That same size discrepancy can actually work in your favor.
    considering a selection area that is very small does not register than you can leverage as much with a very fat brush or lasso area.
    Where not as much careful precision is needed when selecting because minor overlap into neighboring faces will not register ( allows for more lazy, anal free abandon )

jes go fatter.
    ( additionally with the lasso tool, using a fat selection strategy allows one to still leverage the "fast" setting over the slower "accurate" Lasso setting enjoying speed and predictability )

• devonChiu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    devonChiu null
    Has anyone overcome this bug yet?
    Personally I really like the pre 2016.5 setup with the flexibility that allows me to both quickly click select single face, and marquee select multiple ones with center constraint. It's really a much fluid implementation. 
    Even with the update patch, the problem still persist for me, Even in 2017. Not sure what I can do to revert the behavior back. 
  • Enderay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enderay polycounter lvl 6
    I have the same issue in 2017 :( So annoying :( 

• Enderay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enderay polycounter lvl 6
    Looks like its a viewport 2.0 bug. It seems to work in Legacy Viewport.