Home Technical Talk

Autodesk Maya Uv unwrapping problem show up (after smooth preview)

Phialle
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Phialle null
after finishing unwrapping the polygon, some of the edges that have uv cut will stitch back together after smooth preview... anyone has any idea what's wrong with this?

before smooth preview:

after smooth preview:

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check your mesh in those areas, and watch the pre-select highlight when you mouse over them. I had a similar issue last year, and if it's like mine, the preselect shows elswhere on the model, as if you had one imaginary large face. I don't know the cause, it was a relatively simple mesh.

Use Mesh>Clean as usual, look for non-manifolds or hidden faces, etc. In my case the result came back good; it took several tries of separating/combining, unweld/welding everything until it magically stopped.
  • Phialle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phialle null
    Thanks for your reply ^^ I've tried everything that have you mentioned, but it doesn't work, in fact I exported the problematic polygon as an obj. and import it back in a new scene and it's fixed!!~ maybe there have some problem with the file itself o.o
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool that worked for you @Phialle I know that didn't work for me at the time. This looks like tree branches maybe? You didn't happen to extrude along curves did you? I got to thinking a little more about the construction of that mesh, and that might be a similarity. Not a huge deal, but it's nice to know some of Maya's little quirks for the future.
  • Phialle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phialle null
    @throttlekitty these are tree roots actually, I didn't extrude along curve as I find it will take more time to construct it. This is just normal extruding from the face but the topology for this polygon not that good as there are a lot stretching for the texture. Have to keep improving on building the topology. X'D