Home Technical Talk

When sculpting characters in Zbrush, is it best to sculpt the body as one piece?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Glacierfox polycounter lvl 8
Hey. 
When sculpting character bodies in zbrush is it best to sculpt the body and the head as one object?
I'm just beginning a personal character project and I was intending to just sculpt the head first to get that out of the way then work on the body, but I couldn't think of a way to cleanly combine the two after. 
I could just start the whole body but I am under the impression that it might become a bit of a pain when retopologising or using dynamesh when doing the head; having to keep an eye on a lot of body areas at the same time.

I read in a post a few years back about re-projecting the two separate high polys onto a combined low poly but the process wasn't explained at all.

Thanks, Danny :)

Replies

• MmAaXx
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    I guess is personal taste, I prefer to sculpt separately. I feel I have more more control and I can subdivide more.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Depends on the clothing and accessories of the concept. I like to have a few objects (3-6) of about equal, large size where the seams get covered by clothes, jewelry or armor, because it makes my computer chug less.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    If I do a full nude, I tend to sculpt the body and head as one piece...but that's just personal pref.  I will separate them by polygroup for easy isolation.
  • Glacierfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Glacierfox polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the replies guys!

The concept I'm working on now actually has a completely open neck line; leather jacket, v-cut vest underneath.

What I usually do is, as mentioned, is to just cover up the neck line with a garment or neck piece but obviously this restricts my ideas. And yea I get what you're saying MMAXX, I started a piece ages ago where the body was just one piece and even at 8 million it wasn't quite enough to lay in those secondary forms so I started using HD Geo but it just ended up getting tiresome. I always start with just the head but then I can never cleanly attach the head to the body afterwards :/ without resorting to leaving a huge seam there.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You can always localise you subdivision density. Just x2 or x4 the head/hands/whatever to concentrate where you need extra detail.

You can paint this in when zremeshing using 'polypaint density'