Home Technical Talk

Modo 10 game tools / Smoothing Groups

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
TCarneiro polycounter lvl 5
So I' m testing the new modo game driven tools.
Everything works fine, except the smoothing groups tools..
I'm posting it here on the hopes someone had the same bug/problem that I'm having and might be able to help me figure out what to do.

Basically every time I try to create a smoothing group it affects the entire mesh instead of the selection. When I try to work on the selection it just creates a hard edge right in the middle of it.
There's no overlapping uvs..there's no reason (apparently)  for it to be behaving like this.

Replies

• CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    One of the faces you've selected in the upper picture appears in a different color. I don't have MODO in front of me right now but can you check that:

1. there are no flipped normals
    2. no split edges (use merge-tool and increase merge radius)
    3. no multiple faces ontop of each other?

Are you using Seneca's MODO scripts? He created a very handy "Cleanup" script which could possibly help in this case.
  • TCarneiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the faces you've selected in the upper picture appears in a different color. I don't have MODO in front of me right now but can you check that:

1. there are no flipped normals
    2. no split edges (use merge-tool and increase merge radius)
    3. no multiple faces ontop of each other?

Are you using Seneca's MODO scripts? He created a very handy "Cleanup" script which could possibly help in this case.
    1) No flipped normals =(
    2) Already did..I even deleted the edge and cut a new one.
    3) Not at all =(
  • Gaurav Mathur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 13
    I'm wary of using third-party scripts that haven't been maintained for years.  How is Seneca's Mesh Cleanup script different than what comes built-in with MODO's Geometry > Mesh Cleanup?  Does anyone have a current version more recent than the script posted here?
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=32&t=50293 
  • TCarneiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, turn out the problem was the user not the tool!
    I didn't knew but the tool was created in a way that it needs you to select the edges on the loop to be able to drive the smoothing groups. Meaning in 1 quad I would have to select the 4 edges.
    Yeah..that's a feature !

So basically we just need to select the edges.

@gauravcm
    yeah I clean the scripts/plugins/add-ons on every new installation.
    I never used the Seneca's mesh cleanup tho!