Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook:Mark Kuykendall

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
punchface polycounter lvl 6
PLEASE CRIT WHEN CONVENIENT. :)

So here I am, a long-time member of Polycount but a guy who almost never posts ever. In that past, that was mostly about being intimidated by all the excellent work from people that gets shown here and thinking to myself that I wasn't ready to "play the game" at that level and not wanting to be embarrassed or feel inferior.

In other words, I was chicken.

Whatever, time to move on and not be chicken. Time to participate rather than just take advantage of ghosting excellent technical discussions or reading the wiki or something like that.

So I'm currently in the early stages of my first serious attempt at a modular environment kit.

The "flavor" of it is super-near future (maybe 2020-2025) southern European (Altantis actually, but not that's irrelevant) urban and residential. Attached is a pic that shows some inspiration for the buildings. If memory serves, two of the pics are Barcelona, one is Lisbon, and the fourth one is Marseille. One can see tucked in there a handful of techy/sci-fi bits too. Some of that is kinda grungy and looks like it came from some AAA game that was sitting somewhere in Doom country or something dark and grungy like it while a couple of the other bits are super clean and minimal and represent bits and pieces of our near future from a very different Star-Trek-y//Portal-y looking clean minimalism. Part of the reason that the sci-fi bits on my inspiration collage are small compared to the architectural bits is because they won't constitute a significant amount of stuff in the kit or in whatever environment a level designer might be making. Y'know...like a bit of pepper and parsely on top of the steak or something like that. :) My futuristic greeble bits will try and straddle the difference between those two futuristic design motifs. A bit more complex and grungy than the super clean stuff but not as complicated and industrial looking as the other stuff. Somewhere in the middle.

So here's the completed base low-poly stuff; All of it. All the pieces have a single uv channel mapped but no lightmap data yet and no holy-stuff for anything yet. I figured this would be a great time to post and get some feedback before going on and wasting a huge amount of work on a bad strategy.

My pieces all have their pivots in the right place and the stuff that actually is meant to fit together like lego can do so while a lot of the other stuff can get spackled on more-or less wherever. Windows, doors, hanging plants, TV antennas blah blah, those also have their pivots set but mostly just for precise convenience later.

I'm using a combination of multi-subs with 1024 tiling textures (often layered using masks and various compositing nodes like multiply or add and lerps etc. AND unique textures for stuff all laid out on 17 different 2048x2048 atlases.

90% of the basic modeling was done in 3ds Max although I'm trying to learn a bit of Maya as well to theoretically make myself more employable so I made a handful of the things shown in Maya as well and then added 'em to the collection in Max when I was done. My game engine will be UE4. I was going to try out Unity but I've decided that I don't want to go in cold not knowing hardly anything about Unity or how it's lighting and shaders work etc. with a project that requires complicated nodal networks for its shaders like this. My next project after this one is going to be a mech which will have a much more simple texture layout and I'll use that as an excuse to learn a thing or two about Unity. For now, I'll stick with what I know (except for the Maya part) and go with Unreal.

Here's the pic of the whole kit from a perspective and from the top where I showed how the various parts are associated in the 17 different 2k atlases.

Replies

• punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This final pic shows a door with a multi-sub on it. Each of those materials may or may not have at least one and probably more layered tiling textures slapped on them. I'll get my masks and tiling textures kinda like this:

Stuff gets normal maps high>low via the typical high>low projection. Normal and geo go to Knald to get AO, Concavity, Convexity, and Curvature. Piece by piece, all of that will get composited together until each 2k atlas has a complete set of maps: Normal, AO, Concavity, Convexity, and Curvature. Those will be used to create masks in Substance Painter and those masks will be used in various ways to blend albedo, roughness, metalness, normals, and other crap when necessary.

Lerp lerp lerp! Lerpity lerp de-lerp!

The frame of the door for instance...that's probably a painted surface (with a 3vector to describe the paint color) composited over either a rough wood or a plaster and then over the top of those two, a third tiling texture that's a bit of dirt and/or maybe a teeny bit of moss.

Rinse/repeat for each material. At first, say, for the first six objects or so, the going is going to be pretty slow as I have to set up the shaders and hook all the nodes up etc. But after a while, it'll be fast because I'm duping shaders that I made for a different object and just changing the masks for different ones.

• punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So that's it. That's where I am now. It's early in the process and a lot of my thinking or proposed workflow can be changed with relatively little effort at this stage. I'm going to go ahead and start modeling the high-poly versions of stuff that need it because I'm pretty sure that whatever changes I might make based on feedback etc. won't invalidate any high-poly work that I do. It'll be a good way to spend my time productively.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally done! By far and away the largest and most time-consuming project that I've ever attempted. At some point in the future, I'll do either this kit over again or some other modular kit. For that project, there will definitely be some stuff that I do differently. Larger texture atlases with more pieces for a fewer number of total atlases will be one thing that I'll change. I'll also make sure that all of my major mass//block-out pieces are "solid" so that I don't have to use two-sided lighting or shadowing to make them seem solid. I'll organize myself even better in the future too and have a more rational strategy for creating materials and naming conventions etc. because that stuff got away from me big-time. By the end of the project, my asset browser was a total mess.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mecha...38ktris +/-  4096 maps:
  • ArtofScott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtofScott polycounter lvl 2
    I'm not really a 3D CG guy, at least in terms of knowing the software and stuff, but this mech looks pretty cool! What do you like most about it, and what do you hate?
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the design most. I hate the small technical fuck-ups in some of the texture maps that are mostly invisible unless I get in really close but *I* know they are there. I also hated having to try and wrestle with Unity to get things to look good. I recruiter encouraged me to try and at least get passingly familiar with both Maya and Unity so I could at least claim that basic level of fluency. She fig'd it would make me more marketable. While I think I agree with that base premise, trying to get a portfolio grade project out of a game engine that one can barely use (I know Unreal way better), was a dumb idea. I'm 100 percent sure that I could have made this project look better in Unreal than it is here BUT, I can't just rest on what I already know. When stop learning, we start dying....
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a couple of small things since my last update: A locker room//bay on some old grimey space station and a child's rocking horse if the child was some creepy Wednesday Adams kinda girl and the horse was modeled after Death's Pale Horse. Those projects were small and went by pretty quick and can be seen in their finished state on my artstation and pretty soon (haven't gotten around to the updates yet) my portfolio site blah blah. My next project is a gothic western hero character....maybe a bit like Roland of Gilead or something.

• GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    Yea... the Mech is dope ;) 
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh, hey, polycount? I have a question....it's about heavy stubble that's too long to be a "five o'clock shadow" but too short to be an honest beard. I get that really short stubble would just probably be painted into the texture maps for the head while a full-on beard might be alpha cards in the same manner a a character's hair....so what about in-between? Is there an established set of techniques for a dude who hasn't shaved in days and looks super scruffy but not bearded?
  • GeoCat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeoCat polycounter lvl 7
    punchface said:
    :smile: Thanks!

The environment stuff is nice too.... just realized that they were your work and not reference photos ;) 
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hero's side-arm, a "Reaper .462" in its holster: