Home Technical Talk

Painting materials in Substance Painter

kevingamerartist
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
kevingamerartist polycounter lvl 6
Hi All,
For materials in Substance Painter is it ok to download customized materials and use that for your work if you don't have the correct material that you want to use with the default materials?

I have noticed that some of the default materials in Substance Painter are probably ones I'm not going to use at the moment, so I don't know if I should just download customized materials and use those, or try to customize a material that already exists in Substance?

Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :smile:

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    If it is for portfolio work, it is highly recommended you create everything you use for your displayed work.  If you do end up using other people's supplied content in one form or another, it's also recommended (should just be common knowledge TBH) that you credit those responsible for their contribution with specific elements listed.

Production work, and it is licensed to be used for production work, feel free.  Whatever gets the job done fastest, with desired results.  HUGE emphasis that it is done 100% legally, with credit going to where it is due.  
  • Glacierfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glacierfox polycounter lvl 8
    To be honest. I've downloaded a few free items from that substance share website that I liked the look of for my personal projets just as a basis really. Usually when painting, in substance, even if I use a few free items, the end product ends up being completely unrecognizable after I've altered them a bit, added different effects and masks and such. It's so easy to variate on a material in substance anyway that you should just experiment with the free ones and a lot of the time you end up with something completely different :)