Home Career & Education

How long does freelancer get paid after he complete his work in polycount?

LifeOfAPie
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
LifeOfAPie polycounter lvl 5
Pardon my question, in polycount, how long it took to get paid? it's been a few days since he last contact me. I email to him but didn't get any reply this few days.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Clients should pay withing 14 days. Most clients pay withing 30 days. Some big companies can take up to 3 months to pay. Some clients will not pay at all. Hopefully your client will but,...
    Polycount only provides a service for posting freelance positions they are not responsible for terms of payment. As a freelancer if you accept work its your responsibility to negotiate a payment agreement with the client. You come across as a bit new at this so in future if you are working for someone for the first time, or unsure about that person or studio/company, it is always a good idea to provide images of the work, and put a watermark through them. If the job is big enough you can even break it up into phases, and request payment on the completion of each. I have even sent small character animation previews with a watermark over them and only sent the files when the money was in my bank and the client didnt mind at all.

If you send complete products, (especially if you work remotely) in the hope of getting paid you have nothing to bargain with. Hope is not really a good backup plan.

Even so I hope this helps.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Personally, when negotiating for a freelance job, I always ask for full payment when client is ready to download finished assets.  

So, get your start-work deposit.  Work and show previews.  When done show proof of completion (lo res jpgs, show on Artstation marmo viewer - if no NDA or generic, or 1 finished sample provided out of multiple assets, etc.).  Tell client when they want to download actual work files they pay closing balance at which point you'll give them the download link(s).  Re: edits, 1 free round of easy fixes or some such which you've negotiated beforehand.

When done this way you don't end up having to go into bill collector mode or composing formal invoice notices.  And you can emotionally and psychologically carry on with other projects while waiting for payment because you're not bothered by one slowpoke paying client.

EXTRA TIP:
    If you have multiple clients you may want to start a spreadsheet work log and make it sort of a tracker.  Quick reference tool especially if indie clients having same or similar first names (you don't wanna email the wrong guy with the wrong project!).
  • LifeOfAPie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LifeOfAPie polycounter lvl 5
    Thank You Kanga and Magicsugar for the advice on freelance. I will work carefully with my client from now on. I am new to freelancing, your advice help me to understand how to deal with client when it comes to payment. Thank You Very Much
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    bigger studios usually want to check assets while wip etc and usually pays you afterhand or monthly, but not so much to worry about if it's bigger studios with contracts.

But with smaller unknown clients you should be more careful and follow the above advice.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have some good resources here that might help you
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would n't demand payment or I am not handing the files over lol
    I often send my clients WIP models so the riggers can test them.
    To be fair though I try and screen timewasting clients and tend to work for
    games companies or largish advertising agencies.
    I have only not been paid once in 9 years
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ruz said:
    I would n't demand payment or I am not handing the files over lol
    I often send my clients WIP models so the riggers can test them.
    To be fair though I try and screen timewasting clients and tend to work for
    games companies or largish advertising agencies.
    I have only not been paid once in 9 years
    Yeah if you are working for reputable folks its rare that things go pear shaped. You should have a contract in place just in case though. One attached to the quote you send with a note that accepting the quote accepts the contract is usually enough for most jobs. Working online for unknown clients is a different matter. As an afterthought, its also not usual to hand over work files without an extra charge. Models are not work files I think, they are just a product as are animations and textures and an FBX is usually pretty effective. If a client asks for the original files you can also add what you think it is worth.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Kanga - yeah i tend to only work for proper companies , some don't even bother with contracts, just email
    confirmation
    I trust them enough to give them any files they need before payment
    If it was a new client , but I knew they were a decent company that would be ok too.
    The idea is to make the dealing with you as painless as possible( :) not always possible though)