Home Technical Talk

What causes this nasty Maya 2016 Ext 2 multicut bug?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 12
I upgraded to Maya 2016. The first time I used it was on another person's machine. In the first 5 minutes i triggered a noticeable error. Whenever I try to move an object on a live surface by left clicking on the gizmo, a marking menu shows up. I figured "hmm, maybe the prefs folder on this machine has some weird something or other inside that's poisoning this particular instance of Maya.

I get home, install a brand new copy of my own, and the same thing happens in the first 20 minutes. I normally resolve this by droping the move tool, switching to object mode and going back into the multicut tool. I normally wouldn't mind, but this versionis NEW and it is freaking CONSTANT. Half the time doing what I just mentioned won't work and I'm forced to restart Maya all together. What was once a casual nuisanceis has become an insipid problem. I know it's not a problem exclusive to my machine because it happened in the first 5 minutes on another machine. I can't possibly be the only one with this problem. Is there any way you guys have found to avoid it?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    I'm having trouble picturing this, can you outline your steps? I don't understand how you're getting a marking menu by clicking on the (move?) gizmo, or where multi-cut or component mode fits in here.
  • daniellooartist
    Offline / Send Message
    This is me left clicking in negative space. The error occurred after i turned off the live object tool and attempted to move a vert with the move tool on the x axis. It's like disabling the make object live option makes ALL left clicking activate a random marking menu. But seriously, has no one else encountered this?

When trying to move UVs

• Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Does this also happen with the Scale or Rotate tools active?
  • daniellooartist
    Offline / Send Message
    yes. anything that requires a left click. It's almost as if it somehow remaps the left click itself to activate some menu.

EDIT: Thanks to Bartalon this command should solve it. Turns out for some weird reason Maya won't recognize me taking my finger off the W key. I don't know why Maya does this in the first place but It works.

TranslateToolWithSnapMarkingMenuPopDown;
  • throttlekitty
    Can't say I've seen that, no. I do recall seeing tiny text in the menus in a post... somewhere.

Sometimes MM's and hotkeys can get "stuck" in between actions, but that's usually when dragging off from a window. I'd also guess a malformed MM, but you also mention it's a fresh install; I presume you didn't add anything. Did both installations come from the same source?
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the text in your MM is a bit small.? do you have vray installed.? its doing strange things to maya ext2...
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    After some private Q&A we came to what we think is the problem / solution.

The W hotkey for whatever reason was set to the command "buildTranslateMM" for both press and release.  There is a more up to date command set that should be used for proper marking menu behavior in 2016 (as seen in the hotkey editor window):

W (PRESS) -- Other Items > Marking Menus > Translate Tool With Snap Marking Menu
    W (RELEASE) -- Other Items > Marking Menus > Translate Tool With Snap Marking Menu Pop Down