Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Charles Vane

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RonnieRiddik polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys, that's my first post here on Polycount and i'm kinda new to low poly stuff ! I'd like to share my latest work based on Charles Vane from Black Sails. 
Any comment or critic it's very welcome ! thank you ! 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hair needs more volume.  It's reading vacuumed wrapped to his scalp as opposed to having some flow and volume to it.
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I am not really familliar with the character so I can't comment on his accuracy but I do like the overall design.

I would suggest adding more haircards with less amount of strands on top of what you have now to give it volume and hide the base cards a bit more. Right now they have really clear edges and it looks odd. Also they don't quite blend out at the edges which leaves quite obvious half transparent artifacts. You should probably have more texture variants as well and not completely mirror the hair (at least it looks that way now).

I would revise the lighting as well, its quite flat and unflattering at the moment. What did you render in? Marmoset?
  • RonnieRiddik
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Brian and thank you Magihat ! I'm really aware that i need to improve my hair skills, that's the first time that i try to work with long hair cards and i didn't find any useful tutorial for next gen hair cards, so i had to figure it out on my own ! Yeah i used Marmoset, but i would like to learn a bit unreal engine, at least to use it for showing my low poly models. 
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Maybe you have already seen this but it really is a great source for how to create real-time hair if you haven't:
    http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2015/04/how-do-i-create-real-time-hair-for-games/
  • RonnieRiddik
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i gave a look but what i wanted to try to hand paint the hair ! I really enjoy the texturing process, in fact i started as texture artist and then as modeler, so i wanted to learn (or at least try) to do it by hand !