Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scrounger - a Short Film made in CryEngine

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
Hello Polycounters,

So, I've been busy over the last long while, making a short film/trailer in CryEngine. The challenge I had set myself was to make absolutely everything myself - models, textures, materials, design, concept, lighting, story, animation, rigging, and music. It was a lot of fun, and a lot of work.

For this film, I was going for something I thought would be original - just made up in my head, and brought into the world, piece by piece, and doing my best to stay clear of cool, and overly ornate. Also, I did not want de-saturated, grim and gloomy, but a brighter-looking future, which I thought would hit the spot for once.

Ok, I am going to make a bit of a write-up for this, in case someone is interested. All assets I've made are basically fit for a game - somewhat low poly, except perhaps for the characters, which I felt needed that extra detail to be convincing.

The look itself I wanted as close to cinematic as I could get, which was a bit of a study in itself. It isn't easy in a game engine.
  What makes something look movie-like? If I could define it for myself, I could work on getting to that point, and so on. Basically, what I thought was high contrast lighting - very bright, and very shadowy, though not to the point of being washed out, and always to highlight the mood one is going for.

As for the design, I wanted something unique - so large swooping shapes - circles, and lots of protrusions for the light to catch on. Another thing was lights built into panels - flashing - red alarms, arches, windows, robots, aliens, fear, a planet view, and what ever else I could think of.

I sat down early on and made sketches of the various parts that were to make up the space station. It all kind of had to go together, but I also went for something familiar - as if time, in regards to inventions, had gone differently in that world.

So, I thought at first: how about a museum in space? I went with that for a while, but changed it to a space station on Mars - built into the mountain side - red dust swirling, rocks and cliffs, but what swung it to what it is today, was I was dead-set on a view of Earth at night, as the Sun rises behind it's cloudy surface. That really settled it.
From that, I made corridors of anything that would be my version of sci-fi, and a main lobby area, with large lamps - fairly well mono-chromatically lit in a blue cast from stars projected onto the walls, with large battery chargers for the sentries, hanging like claws waiting to shut close; as well as the vault room, of course.

As for the characters, I wanted fairly simple - two or three characters, and no more. Actually I had different designs for both early on, but thought I needed to push the looks of them a lot more, and thereby came up with the rather 'punkish' look of the main character, with the antennas running down his head and back like a Mohawk - and generally a bit of a mish-mashed construction, as well as skittish, and insect-like in nature. That look came about with me closing my eyes, and drawing the 'shadowy' shapes I could see in my head, as silhouette - something I, for myself, call shadow drawing. It was a good way of getting that 'inner' image down as a guide to work from.

It was a challenge (for me) animating the characters, as they had no voice, and no facial features to show emotion, and what exactly went through their minds. I am not an animator, and don't claim to be one, so I tried my best showing that through hand gestures and head movement, as well as whole body movement. Obviously it could have been done many ways, but that is what I could do within a reasonable amount of time.
As for the story; well, the story, for what there is, is whatever you think it is. I didn't want to hold hands, and really wanted it left to the viewer to decide. There was an elaborate story in my head - a sentimental one, but I thought I didn't need it once it was all done. Also, it is trailerish in nature - a bit un-ended, and certainly open to interpretation.

At the end of it, I of course needed music. I have a background as a classical pianist/organist, and thought I'd tackle that as well, and came up with a very simple theme, I then wanted to see if I could spin into a more complex yarn. I wanted a slow beginning, a ramp-up to a hectic middle, for it to die down to its beginning, and fade away unfinished. For the music, I also wanted something original sounding, and therefore went with piano (naturally), and some more 'synth' sounding accompaniment. Overall, it went a bit better than I feared it might otherwise have gone. I am rusty in the composition department, so I weren't sure how it would go.

Anyway, there is a lot more I could say, but don't want to go on forever. The programs used were: CryEngine, 3DS Max, ZBrush, After Effects, Photoshop, and FL Studio, for the music.

So, I would for sure like a job in 3D and am, as of now, looking.

Hopefully you like it. It was an interesting project

Here's the link to the Short Film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V85Fw5H5jE

And, here are some stills from Scrounger. A lot actually didn't make it into the final film, and a lot of items didn't make it either, but it was a bit of try this and that, and then cut rather brutally to fit my music. Once the music was made, which was close to the end, I knew I had to make the clip fir to that, so that was a saving grace (4 mins).

Portfolio: http://www.henriks3dworld.com/

Zoom in real dimensions 936 x 527image

Thanks for looking!

Henrik Larsen

Replies

• two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
    I was hoping for some feedback from this knowledgeable forum.  Not anything?
  • vinc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vinc null
    salut, je vais malheureusement te parler en francais, tu disais que tu avais besoin d'une musique pour mettre en scène ton projet, qui reste intéressant, bien que très convenu: souvent nous avons pu voir ce genre de mise en scene, SF.  je me tiens à ta disposition si tu cherches à travailler dessus autant pour la musique que pour le reste (idée/ mise en scene/ texturing/ modeling)

kind regards.