Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC-CSGO | AWP Celestial Pioneer WIP

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

INTRODUCTION

This is the Work In Progress post for the AWP Celestial Pioneer.
(I do want to point out that I do know how bad the name sounds but I am not creative enough to come up with something else. I'll change it! - hopefully, anyway)  ;)
I'm probably the last person to start a skin to this late but I didn't have the time beforehand :'( 
I am somewhat worried that I will not make it in time but that should just be motivation for me to give it my all! 

Here is a moodboard I used today. I might make a new one per each update/post as it will keep my mind fresh but this is the first one. (Knowing life I will get too lazy to make more moodboards)

ANALYSIS + PLANNING

I want to have leather in the middle of the gun that is similar to the lady's suit. White and weird looking. I will have to add a lot of wrinkles etc.

I'm might not have a scope because this skin is meant to be restricted and those are a mid-tier.
For those who don't know, it goes something like this:

BAD ==> GOOD
Consumer, Mil-Spec, Restricted, Classified, Covert
(I used http://skins.csgodb.net/ to easily look at the rarities of skins and to create screenshots and to analyse the patterns (etc) below.) 

*Consumer skins tend to be a monochromatic pattern of sorts, which usually is somewhat bad looking and this results in extremely low prices on the steam market.  

*Mil-Spec skins are a bit better and have some theme or detail visible but are still very bland or boring when it comes to colour and how it interact with the guns geometry.
Usually both the geometry use and colours are quite random/bad. This is why the prices tend to be around £0.10 - £0.50

*Restriced is the tier I have to aim for so this might be a bit longer than the others. 
From what I've seen, these skins can have EITHER bright colours with a lot of patterns or fit the geometry well with dark, damaged looking rendering.

I will try to go for the "good work of geometry but weird use of colour" option. It will be a bit hard as picking the colours seems to be an art by itself. 
I am not a very experienced artist and have never worked on anything that would have to satisfy such a large audience (CSGO fans). I need to get this perfect. I will probably make 3-4 versions to make sure :/

I was thinking of versions consisting of;
*Blue-To-Purple
*Lime-To-Green
*Orange-To-Yellow
*Red-Purple-Orange-Yellow

*Classified make a better use of colours and geometry but often use less rendering.

*Covert are cream of the crop.

SOME OLD TOSH

I also planned out the workshop page layout during a break. Pardon the bad artistic skills and atrocious handwriting but I didn't have much time.  I hope it gets the point across! :smiley:

I will be creating some SFM images to promote the skin. As far as I know, I am allowed to do this provided I use 4 or more unedited Workshop images and in-game images.
I do know a little about Source Film Maker but any tips would be great guys!

Well that's enough for today. Now I need to pray I make it in time 

Replies

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

DAY 2

Not gonna lie. Day two was incredibly productive.
    I exhausted my Spotify playlist multiple times but I have finished a large part of the skin.

I added colour to the sketches and experimented with some shapes to see if it looked better. At this point I didn't think about making it suit the Restricted tier but rather just wanted to come up with stuff to put that would fit the geometry of the skin in an eye-catching way. I recommend everyone does this as you can always remove parts of the design later.

For some reason, I was thinking of race cars so I added stripes and lines that to me conveyed speed. For example, in the back there are two light grey stripes and there are two black stripes at the beginning of the barrel.

I was thinking of incorporating some bio-mechanical... things... around the handle of the gun which would stylistically resemble the Xenomorph look so I started making some shapes, and eventually came up with design that had subtle resemblance to the Xenomorph body shape.

I added dots on the barrel which made it look so much better. I also made slight changes to the entire gun. I am using this since I over-writ over some saves so I cannot take screenshots now :/

Now that I had something to work with, I projected the texture onto the AWP model, exported the texture and poped it into the Workbench.
    I took screenshots and put those into Photoshop so that I could further improve the design but also easily know what it would look like in-game.

I went through this idea generating process a few times and I think it worked out quite well! :)

I tried to go for a low poly look but it didn't fit at all.

I made the logo thinner, added another triangle and stitchings. I tried to go for a leather look on the white area. I was inspired by the upper lady on the top of the first moodboard. (The final version of the leather looks much nicer)

I further messed with ideas but ended up removing almost all of them as I remembered for which weapon Tier I was shooting for ;)

I imported the skin into the game.
    I replaced my AWP | Worm God with my Celestial Pioneer skin. (Pardon the stickers. Didn't want to scratch them off)

To find out how to get custom CS skins in-game, watch this video by BananaGaming. It is very helpful, though somewhat dates. Common sense will fix the issues though ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPBosWcLq0c

If you look at the handle, you'll see what I was talking about beforehand.
    I ended up removing it as it looked too good to be in the Restricted tier. I decided to give that area a somewhat shinny plastic look as the rest of the gun has pretty good geometry so I had to counterbalance. I talked about how I'm going to "balance" everything in the first post above.

If you look at the barrel, you'll notice a bit of the default texture. I think the transition was bad, which is why I changed it later but the idea of having that makes my AWP somewhat unique.
    I would like to thank Coridium as he made a wonderful tutorial explaining how the wear system works! ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b579FA5Cloc )

All over changes are minuscule and are probably not worth mentioning

I further messed with the handle but only made it worse. I also decided I will make the scope default too. It will make it have a lower tier look which I needed as the skin looked slightly above the Restricted tier at that point.

Now I wanted to change the details and mess with the Phong Exponent and Intensity to give it that metal/plastic shine.
    These are not the final lighting choices but I only took one screenshot :/

After making a lot of changes I decided I was happy with the skin for today. I made some renders and messed around with ideas.
    I finished both textures after ages of trying out custom brushes and experimenting with how I want the material to look. The black still looks... meh but it can't be amazing. #JustRestrictedRarity

TBH, it doesn't look that much similar to the lady's jacket, but getting it just right would be really hard. Something I don't think I would be able to do.

3D Coats renders are always good <3

The black texture looked really flat in-game so that gave me multiple headaches :( 

This is the old flat version I was talking about. Again, pardon the stickers. I know they take so much space and cover the center but I really don't want to remove them. Plus, since this will be an affordable/Low Inventory budget AWP, people will probably put stickers all over it and this shows how it will look with them.

I decided to test out other colours. Also, in this image I have updated a texture using some custom brushes. It looks less... bad... but still not getting where I want it to be.

Purple looks nice and since I am making 4 versions, it might take a place within the 4 versions.

Also, I really like the look of the handle. It gives that suble nudge towards Aliens and yet still looks plastic enough to lower the quality of the skin enough for it to be Restricted.

Needless to say the focus point of the skin will be the middle. This is sort of unique as the other Restricted AWP, AWP | Worm God has the focus point at the back of the gun. 

Look really weird this way. I am probably going to try and create a better blue version.

I will probably change the scope again. I am not liking the damaged look. I want it to be somewhat clean.

I don't know how much I have to show and or what is enough for me to not be disqualified, so I will do a little moodboard creating step by step with analysis.

I want to change the purple/yellow to an 80's looking chrome. 

This colour choice would be good for my skin. They rendering on the edges would be hard to do on the skin though, so I might have to look for others.
      I like the edges and the way the mid gradients have been done but not really the colour. 

A thing to keep in mind whilst creating the skin is purple and pink. Some dividing lines would be good too.
    The first one but in the second ones colour scheme would be somewhat good.

there are almost perfect. The dark in the middle makes it have the look I would go for. 

The colour and gradients are really good. I will probably make the blue look really similar to this.

I will try to wrap up all the differently coloured designs tomorrow. If I finish, I will go onto promotional imagery. Fingers crossed SFMs are not against the rules!
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

"Deleted" Duplicated Post.

(I didn't notice there was a comment approval thing.)

I know it's an anti-spam system but it is annoying nonetheless. These were all copies of the post above. There were like a few of them before. I didn't know what was going on, I thought it was an error so I tried reposting my posts. This was meant to be posted at like 23:00 or something yesterday but it posted at 13:00 today.) 

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I know it's an anti-spam system but it is annoying nonetheless. These were all copies of the post above. There were like a few of them before. I didn't know what was going on, I thought it was an error so I tried reposting my posts. This was meant to be posted at like 23:00 or something yesterday but it posted at 13:00 today.) 

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really bored doing the chrome so I'm taking a break. (Which is this btw)
    For those who want to see what I've done, here is some of it.

It really tilts me how I structured the layers in this. *Slaps my past self*  :D
    I remade the layers into one group and kept the colour yellow and orange separate but... well... not separate enough so I had to go through and redo the yellow.

The base yellow and orange version is pretty much done but the Chrome is taking an age-per-inch. I fear I might not make it in time more and more :disappointed:
    The fact that I am really tired doesn't help at all either :tired_face: 

But I will plow through this till the end! :cold_sweat:
    I put too much effort to quit now. I'd really need a shit sandwich right now xD

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I am making some headway with the blue chrome version.

I will upload and get the Yellow version ready as I fear time again. Here's the same images but bigger.

I decided to make a;

A Full Yellow Version
    A Half Chrome Version
    A Full Chrome Version
    And if I have time, a 4Fun Version ;)

This is what the Mixed version will look like. I'm not gonna lie. I'd buy this if it was affordable!
    I also made a custom scope. It looks cleaner but still has little enough detail to lower the weapon's looks to the Restricted rarity.

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, the black texture is absolutely killing me. 
    When under lighting, it shows that it's flat. My leather texture has no such problem but this does. I might just leave it. It looks good 90% the time. The Restricted rarity gives me the ability to toss that little detail to the side - or at least I hope :'(
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am cleaning up the texture and damn son, the scope texture is annoying.

I have to go through so much clean up but at least I only have to do it once and then I can just copy the Alpha channel. 
    Phew  :D
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fun in SFM

Considering this is provided by Valve, I doubt they will have a problem with SFM posters.

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I edited my SFMs and now I created the logo. It's bad but it's not what counts! ;)

The circle is meant to be planet. The arrows are meant to show the "1" travelling. The 1 is meant to represent being first as you know... "pioneer"... and all.
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To hell with it. I'm keeping "AWP Celestial Pioneer" as the name :smiley:
    My justification is it suits the logo ;) 
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For some reason I cannot add images to my submission. Volvo Plz fix

model

Anyway. Enjoy this 
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone wants to know, if you have a billion tabs open in photoshop, you may want to CTRL + TAB to navigate through them.
    I realized how helpful this is when working on these :smiley:

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Positive comments on Reddit make me feel so good!
    For all the creators reading, if you make something, post it to reddit. There are always some nice people there  :smiley:
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those who are curious, I use the following software.

Photoshop
    3D Coat
    ZBrush (not much though)

I don't know what else to mention so you will find some little things around here.

Also, I finished the Mystiful Mix variant!

model
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those who want to know how I laid out my description to look like this;

[img]https://i.gyazo.com/6f9e0f8b854ae6d104711eb88e659ce0.png[/img]
    [h1]Intro [/h1]
    The Celestial Pioneer has been on many voyages, to many worlds but this is it's hardest one yet.
    The journey to your inventories!
    It will be long and supplies will run low. In fact, it's on a disaster course but you can change it's fate!
    Vote Yes and Favourite to give it fuel so that it can reach the frontpage for just long enough, so Poly-Valve Space Industries can give supply it with everything it needs to finish it's hardest journey!
    [h1]On a more serious note[/h1]
    This was a weird one to make. I will be making 3 versions of this which will come #soon™
    This took a lot of work, and if you ever wondered how the process of making csgo skins looks like, go onto the Polycount WIP thread where everything is shown!
    Thanks for everything!
    Advice, ideas, or any comments are greatly appreciated!
    [h1]Mystiful Mix Variant[/h1]
    [url=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693184107] [img]https://i.gyazo.com/efa735513f06b5435e462d37cf94b5e8.png[/img] [/url]
    [h1]Youthful Yellow[/h1]
    [url=http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692636976] [img]https://i.gyazo.com/687110af765cc5a6b5c82b1d7790d496.jpg[/img] [/url]
    [h1]Cheerful Chrome Variant[/h1]
    #Soon
    [spoiler] I assumed I was allowed to use the Polycount and CS:GO logos within the promotional imagery on the workshop as this is a Polycount and Valve CS:GO contest. If this is not the case, please tell me and the images will be removed asap. I saw other successful workshoppers do it too, so I have an excuse, right? ;) [/spoiler]
    [url=http://polycount.com/discussion/171071/pc-csgo-awp-celestial-pioneer-wip] [img]https://i.gyazo.com/ba81ea32674966da61481fd02b64eb8f.png[/img] [/url]

This is how I did it. The images were made in SFM and edited in Photoshop. It does take some practice though, so try it all out before doing it for real on some project!

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The votes/ratings are somewhat surprising but I shouldn't expect to be in the positive 80%s when this is meant to be a Restricted skin.

The point is that not everybody will want it. That is why more people get it, get "meh" about it, and open another case in hopes of getting a covert. 

I was trying to make covert contenders before and that's how I got 80%+ at 5000 views. I need to get this into my head and focus on the positive comments! #JustArtistThings

Side note, if you want to know what software I used. (I might be repeating myself. I think another post, "didn't post")
    I use;

3D Coat - to get the models and edit them, via projection etc
    Photoshop - to edit the projections and when I'm done and happy with the skin I use,
    SourceFilmMaker - to get images of my good looking nice and to make it similar to the in-game lighting. 
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10 hours till the deadline and 1 variant to go

Ladies and gentlemen, can he make it? Find out on the next episode of

WORKSHOPPER DIARIES

Sponsored by Frustration;)

I may or may not need to use this /\
    On a more positive note, I really like how the description looks. I am somewhat proud of what I managed to make in like 3-4 days
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I had a decent chance of getting 1-2 but there is one amazing AWP skin in the workshop that hits mine out the park.
    At least I can still hope to get the Swag Bag :smiley: Swag bag, here I come! <3
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Sometimes I hate Reddit ;_;
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Sometimes I love reddit

I love how this became a Blog about being a workshopper :D

• QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happens with the ratings is very interesting.

They start insta-high, then a wave of dislikes comes in, but gradually, over a period of 4-8 hours, the likes come in and get it to a decent point.

I am dying right now, so I do apologise for any mistakes I make.
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Cheerful Chrome is done xD
    SFM time. Then CSGO time. Then Photoshop time. Then Workshop time.

So much to do ;_;
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A person suggested making a purple version. 
    Rushing has never been done like this before.

I hope 4 skins is not spamming the workshop ;_;
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering there were a few guns mentioned in the contest, I am starting to hope there are points for effort or honourable mentions xD
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Didn't recieve much input here but Redditors are being oddly nice today! Are the gods of the internet smiling upon me today? 
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good thing we have a decent health care system. After my hand falls off because of this, I may still be able to write ;)

Also, this is no longer a WIP thread, blog or anything like that. This has become a personal twitter xD
  • QuachyStuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Prediction

Welp. GG. I went through the workshop and found the future winners.
    1. PC-CSGO | AWP - FEDERATION (Blue) By M1nd
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693333846&searchtext=
    2. PC-CSGO | AK47 - Pandorum by Emu
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688970852

Kinda sad how they already have skins in-game but they deserve their place as the skins are amazing!
    On a positive note, that Swag Bag is mine! MINE I SAY! 

Finished AWP Celestial Pioneers

Anyway, here are the 3 finished AWP | Celestial Pioneer variants! <3
    Cheerful Chrome: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693418704
    Youthful Yellow: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692636976
    Mystified Mix: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693184107

Notes

Sorry for turning this from a WIP update thread to my diary but I see no point deleting anything. Also, sorry for any mistakes I made in these posts. I was in a constant rush. I might go through the post later on, but it is quite long so I will probably not pick out them all :/