Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC - CSGO | MP9 - Dilemma (WIP)

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi!

This is my first attempt creating a weapon skin, I had planned on doing so in some free time, but never quite got around to it, but when I heard about this comp I thought no better time than now to have a go..

I have started today, May 21st and haven't left myself much time to finish, but I believe I will do so before the deadline if all goes to plan!

My design is for the MP9, which is a gun I use quite often in the game and had always wished there was more variety when it came to skins for the weapon. so I was excited to see the MP9 was a gun included in this competition.

My initial thoughts pre-design, like everyone else, was hopefully design an MP9 skin I would want in my inventory, and not feel binded by competition rules and design something for the sake of it.

The first thing that came to mind when i heard the competition was 70's/80's Sci-Fi themed was the 1976 movie "Logan's Run". As much as I tried brainstorming other ideas I always came back to it, so it was an easy decision to influence my design around it.. I really wanted to feature the iconic "crystal on the palm" which is synonymous with the film, and has influenced many other Sci-Fi Films & TV since.

Initial concepts were just to include the crystal alone, but it doesn't have the same impact as it being visualised on the palm of the hand. I believe it means a lot more when visualised this way. At the moment the art is merely place-holder

I took a photo of my own hand, and how I wanted it positioned & sketched from there.. at the moment both the hand and crystal are place-holders.. but seeing it on the 2D projection the composition seems to works nicely... i have yet to to test my design on the workbench, and plan on doing so soon

I`m trying to keep the design somewhat minimal and not too flashy, because it is being designed for a "Blue" (Mil-Spec) weapon slot within a case, but still wanting to design something that is desirable

this is some sketch work getting a feel for composition.. very preliminary 

here is the work in progress of the background... my idea of 70`s Sci-Fi is nothing quite looks perfect but at the same time there`s a lot of charm and it works, so I have gone with 3D shapes, that are purposely but subtly skewed and not perfect.. i also am trying to capture the idea of how the 70`s visualised the future as opposed to as we visualise it now, mixed with a little bit of a psychedelic feel

I will be messing about with where it all fits on the gun and in relation to the palm, as well as texture and colour 

for the most part just the art has a long way to go yet, but I thought I`d start this thread as I start the design

I look forward to feedback if anyone is willing to take the time.. thanks!

Replies