Home Marmoset

Some questions about Marmoset and GPUs Performance.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
sergiomengual polycounter lvl 5
Hi:
I am started almost a month ago learning to use Toolbag.
I coming from the old era of the renderes via CPU, using Mental Ray most exactly.
But, now I am changing to GPU rendering. In my opinion, GPU rendering is the future in the 3D industry. And programs like Marmoset, Octane Renderer, and so, are the proof of that.
Well, I started using de Octane Demo in 3DS MAX, and Marmoset 2.08 demo too.
Both renderers not work in the same way, I can see that. But, centering in the Marmoset renderer, I have some technical questions about I cannot find info:
How GPU's enhance the performance of Marmoset?
Or in other words: Marmoset take advantage of things like the CUDA cores from nvidia gpu's?
(I have purchased and Nvidia GTX 950 2GB the past weeks)
Is possible measure the performance of Marmoset with one or another GPU model?
I have seen this "Performance" dialog in the menus of Marmoset:

But, you can explain me, what means that numbers?

In addition, I think that this technical theme about Marmoset and how it use the GPUs hardware is very interesting. And I invite to others to measure the performance of Marmoset with their respectives gpus,(if there is any exact method).

Greetings:

Sergio.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

Marmoset Toolbag 2 is indeed a GPU render, the faster your GPU, the better performance you will see.

If you want to compare different GPUs, you can use the performance tab. The XXX ms number is the time it takes to render each frames in miliseconds, the lower that number the better/faster. 60 frames per second is about 17ms, 117ms is about 8 frames per second.

For rendering complex scenes, I would recommend something like an Nvidia 1060/1070/1080 depending on your budget. A Nvidia 950 will work but it is on the lower end, a 1060 will be about twice as good. For simple scenes, just a lowpoly character and a few lights or so, the 950 should be fine.