Home Technical Talk

Overview of workflow for environment artist

polygon
Offline / Send Message
yukonwanderer polygon
I'm just getting into the world of video game art, coming from being a land architect.  I'm finding all the programs and workflows I see posted somewhat overwhelming/confusing.  There are so many programs out there and different people seem to do things a little differently in their workflows, and I was hoping someone could give me a general run-down of the typical workflow an environment artist would use.

From watching various tutorials and reading articles and the forums, I've been able to piece this together so far (please correct me):

1. use 3d modelling software to create the assets/evironment (eg. 3dmax, zbrush)
2. use these same programs to create normals, ao, unwrap models etc.
3. create textures in photoshop 
4. bring into modeling program
5. create low-poly version of model
6. bake the high poly version onto the low poly version
7. apply textures in rendering program like marmoset - or render in game engine like Unreal?

So many people use different programs, things like substance painter, I've heard houdini mentioned (I don't know what that is yet), etc.  Typically what does an environment artist (working on AAA games) use to create environments?  Is a lot of it not modeled, but instead mapped and rendered? 

I have a lot to learn and would like to focus on the main most important programs that every environment artist should know.

Thanks for any help guys.

Replies

• Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Here's an ordered list with the most used softwares for each task.Keep in mind that all of these tools can do pretty much the same thing.Some are faster in certain areas and slower in others.

- Modeling/Unwrapping : This is where you would model your high and low poly assets,unwrap them,create the blockout geometry for a level,etc...
    Software : Maya, 3Ds Max,Modo,Zbrush, Blender,etc...

Baking : Most artists bake their textures in an external software.Modeling apps have decent bakers,but they're just not as good as these external tools.
    Software : Xnormal,HandPlane,MightyBake,Substance Designer,Knald,Quixel Suite,Substance Painter,etc...

Texturing : Photoshop was the way to go for almost every artist in the industry a few years ago,but times have changed and you now have far more solid and built-to-be game texture applications.
    Software : Substance Painter,Quixel Suite,Photoshop,Substance Designer,3DCoat,etc...

Game Asset Rendering : The most used solution for rendering assets is probably Marmoset Toolbag,but most texturing applications now have a renderer and you can also view your assets in a game engine.
    Software : Marmoset Toolbag,3DO (Quixel),Iray (Substance),Unreal Engine,Unity,CryEngine,etc...

These are AFAIK the most used tools for an environment artist.There are other tools that are tailored for specific tasks (World Machine for terrains).

The hardest part of a workflow is to practice a lot with it.We are lucking enough to be in an age where most software have similar functionalities,and some of them are free or cheap.So just pick your tools,start playing with them and keep playing until you have a certain pattern,or comfort zone when creating asset.

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    The main programs and bare minimum are a modeling tool of your choice (Max, Maya, Modo or Blender) and Photoshop. Focus on those first, learn the basics and traditional worklow with them. All the other tools exist to make specific tasks easier and more time efficient. You can add them to your arsenal step by step as you go.

Don't try to learn everything at once. There isn't much use for Jack of all trades who knows a little of everything but is good at nothing. You're better off to find a niche that suits you and get good at that one thing before expanding your horizon.
  • yukonwanderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yukonwanderer polygon
    Awesome info thanks guys!