Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Quadruped Walk and Run

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
MissBiankadonk polycounter lvl 2
Hello Polycount!

I've ventured into the four legged animations. I would like some feedback for both my walk and run.

I don't know if anyone has worked with this rig before. I found it a little hard to smooth the run animation. Either way, feedback is much appreciated! :)

Replies

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    good start! Do you have reference videos of dogs? or even better if you or someone you know have a dog, watch them to get a feel for how they move. 

The walk stride is a bit too stretched, pull in the furthest reach for the back and front feet. The feet timing needs a little more offset... you have a frame or two between the diagonal feet, but feels too much like FR+RL/FL+RR on a 1-2 beat. normal Walking gait is 1-2-3-4, FR-RL-FL-RR, with 3 feet on the ground any given time. then you have a loping gait that's a 1-2 beat similar to your current walk, but a little quicker and more bounce. finally the sprint gait like your run cycle with less bounce than loping gait
  • MissBiankadonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissBiankadonk polycounter lvl 2
    Alright! I never noticed that about the walk. I revised both cycles according to the walk/run in the back of the Animation Survival Guide.

Better?
  • Snollygoster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snollygoster vertex
    I have to say that I feel that the run animation looks solid aside from a little bit of jumps in the frame when the fox is retracting it's legs but there's something about the walk animation. I think that the front paw movement expects too much that contact with the floor. Usually the leg carries the paw forward before straightening up when it's right about to make contact with the floor, not before it. You might want to do that slight tweak to make the movement look more believable.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    definitely feels better! I was looking at some dog videos and realized there's another walking gait depending on speed. the 1-2-3-4 cross over, 2 feet (not 3 as I previously thought) on the ground. then there's a 1-2 left/right side gait where front/hind legs on each side move almost in unison.