Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC-CSGO | Inifinite Horizon (WIP)

Hi, here is my entry to the weapon finish competition. I wanted to do some kind of nice artwork rather than try to make the AK-47 look like some kind of sci-fi gun. Which in my opinion is nearly impossible, especially when you consider that you cannot change the normal map.

As a first design I thought about some kind of 70s B-Movie Astronaut shooting a laser which will follow the barrel. But that approach looked too tacky.

For my second attempt I took some inspiration from Mass Effect 2. The beginning to be specific. Just the idea of an old helmet in the middle of nowhere surrounded by stars made a nice motive.
I had the Idea that the skull in the helmet would look in the direction of a Planet where "possibly" his rescue could have waited.
That's why it is called "Infinite Horizon" in the spirit of: "so near, yet so far".

The rest of the finish will be relatively straight forward in that there will be some gold accents and some smaller texture detail. Until now I only painted the main picture without the Wind effect blowing Sand in the shooting direction.

The first sketch. I just put the gun in Photoshop through 3DCoat and painted away not really thinking to much about perspective or anatomy.

After sitting another few hours on the details I mostly done with the paining part. By now I repainted the helmet completely. next step will be painting the Sand blowing away and  getting the gold parts all fake-shiny so the gunsmith shader can do the rest. 

The Finished Product after painting the Sand and fixing the projection issues.

The Different Wears. 

And The wonderful Chaotic UV.

I had a lot of Fun working on this and wish everyone in the contest the best of Luck :).