Home Adobe Substance

Is Projection in Painter capable of doing what I need it to do?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6
Having some issues trying to figure out how to get a decal onto my mesh.

I have a metal paint canister that I want to get a label wrapped around the middle of it, but still expose the metal on the top and bottom - similar to this:

The label is paper, just like this one above. My projection image is also worn and torn up like the one above and Id like to add a bit of height and roughness to differentiate it from the metal material underneath it. These are my steps for far:

- create new layer
- press 3 to go into projection mode
- add PNG image being used for projection into Base Color
- in my UV layout I select where I want to paint in the projection and line everything up
- paint on my image

All works well, but only for the Base Color channel. I can't seem to adjust any of the material attributes like roughness or height after I painted in my image, only beforehand. This would be fine, but also when I "paint" on the image and I have roughness/height enabled, it paints past the borders of my image. The PNG with transparency seems to only work for Base Color. Am I missing some steps?

Checked a ton of tutorials and I can't seem to find what I'm trying to do. What I would normally do  is create my regular albedo in PS then bring this into CrazyBump and use the albedo to get the raised edges around the torn paper in my normal map, then manually adjust the Roughness back in PS for the paper.

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    For the moment you can't share the transparency between multiple channels from a single bitmap.
    The only solution I see here is to either create a substance where you share the alpha, or create individual bitmaps for each channels and load them in your material slots.