Home Technical Talk

Maya problem. my last 5 files were all fatal error saves... How do I solve this? :(

Travis C
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Travis C polycounter lvl 8
:(  I don't know what is going on here. But the last 5 saves I've had were all saved with errors. I probably lost 2 days of work. When I open the file, it just gives me the fatal error message. If anyone can help me, that would be so so awesome. I've saved it as a .ma file. 

And what causes these issues? A similar thing happened to me before.

Here's the file in case anyone wants to take a look at it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntzyvpth04u1pqb/wallpanel_basic_redo.22.ma?dl=0

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    When you open the file, an error should appear in the status box briefly. 

If you can catch what that error is, you can open the .ma file in notepad, find the string that's causing it, and delete that. I can't look at those files right now but hopefully that gets you on the right track.

Also backup those files before you go poking around in notepad. 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that's quite the scene.

When Maya hard crashes like this, there's also crashlogs in your user\appdata\local\temp folder. I don't know what to say about this crashlog other than it *really* didn't like something you did. Booleans maybe? I can't tell by glancing at your scene file what exactly your history and mesh connections looks like, but as a general rule clearing the history every so often is a big help.

Poly.dll, PolyEngine.dll, and DependEngine.dll are giving you the crashes, try googling any of those plus "crash" to see if you find anything that works for you.

edit: looks like you've crashed and recovered this scene before? That's a great time to go over what was causing the issue at the time. I'm seeing line like ""createNode objectSet -n "crashed_recovered_whole2:polySurface4222";""
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I don't poke around in MA files with notepad very often but it looks like you had tons and tons of construction history.  You need to delete that every once in a while or it can lead to crashes or worst case, irretrievable content like what you're experiencing now.

Maya 2106 wasn't having any of it and would crash every time.  I opened the scene in Maya 2013 and it worked like a charm.  All your construction history was gone and it had numerous errors, but it loaded.  Here's what I got:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/at13whyontnz7v0/AAC6C4eGOkfw7M-EvewzXN8wa?dl=0
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Travis C polycounter lvl 8
    Bartalon said:
    I don't poke around in MA files with notepad very often but it looks like you had tons and tons of construction history.  You need to delete that every once in a while or it can lead to crashes or worst case, irretrievable content like what you're experiencing now.

Maya 2106 wasn't having any of it and would crash every time.  I opened the scene in Maya 2013 and it worked like a charm.  All your construction history was gone and it had numerous errors, but it loaded.  Here's what I got:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/at13whyontnz7v0/AAC6C4eGOkfw7M-EvewzXN8wa?dl=0
    thank you so much Bartalon... you are my hero.

That's strange that you see a lot of construction history though, as I do delete all by type history,(at least every 5-10 minutes or every couple actions). and also often an optimize scene size.

also, thank you too, throttlekitty! And yes, it had crashed before, but I was able to export them as obj and import them into this newer file that you saw. Oddly enough it still saved corrupted files after tweaking around with it.

I think one thing that may be causing the problem is encapsulation issues, since I work real messy. After some research I found that when importing something, I should  uncheck "Use namespace", and selecting "clashing nodes" in the drop down right under the checkbox (obj import options).