Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Drawingmoose's Journey: Intro to Environment Painting

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
DrawingMoose polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone,

being really humbled and inspired by these great 'Journey' threads, I thought I'd share some of my coursework from Learn Squared's Intro to Environment Painting. Small introduction about myself: I'm a student in The Netherlands and hold a part-time job as concept artist in a game studio. I'm following this course to build more portfolio assets and get back in touch with the art fundamentals (and because it's super fun).

The first assignment is to deconstruct a few Greek, Roman or Egyptian architectural elements from photography. Then draw that element from different perspective angles.

Leptis Magna

Tempio Castori

Athen's Treasury and Arch of Trajan in Timgad

Any critique or pointers would be much appreciated! I'll post the second part of this assignment as soon as it's done.

Stay awesome!

Replies

• omer_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omer_s polycounter lvl 7
    looks fantastic man
  • Triksterr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Triksterr polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome stuff man great use of perspective. If I had one little bitty niggle its the first image top left drawing it feels like a head on perspective but then the opposite doorway is on the left and the shadow is being cast heavy on the left something seems a bit off. Your 3 point perspective is awesome that to me is one of the harder ones to make look right but you nailed it.
  • DrawingMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again,

thanks for the feedback and kind words @tricksterr and @omer_s ! The second part of this assignment is to make a few sketches with an ancient architectural style. I timed myself to stick below 20 minutes, though some of these are no more than 10 minutes. They're done without any direct reference, I'm just using the things I've learned in the previous part.

Really fun assignment, happy with the results. I was afraid at first, but I became much looser after I stopped having expectations.

20 mins (left) and 10 mins (right)

15 mins (top), 10 mins (upper right), 10 mins (lower right) and 20 mins (bottom)

20 mins (left), 15 mins (upper right) and 10 mins (lower right)

Any critique or pointers would be much appreciated! I'll update this thread again when the second assignment is done.

Stay awesome!
  • DrawingMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again,

I missed a few weeks due to an art test (which I hope to be able to share later) and some other stuff, but I'm back on it! This time the assignment was to make more thumbnails and really think about composition and story. I did a few with values and some with lines. I chose one of the comps and did a rough value pass. I then lit it using two different lighting scenarios.

Thumbnails 1

Thumbnails 2

Lighting key 1

Lighting key 2

Let me know what you think!

Stay awesome!
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Some really awesome stuff on here, keep going!
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    Those are some cool sketches, they look like traditional charcoal. Awesome stuff, Maciej Kuciara class, right? You're on to a great journey :)
  • _Hofsta_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Hofsta_ polycounter lvl 4
    Very cool. I love the perspective studies, and all your thumbs read great.

Looking forward to more!
  • DrawingMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys! Yes it's Maciej's class @miguelnarayan. Thanks @_Hofsta_ , I'm really trying to think in terms of light and dark compositions!

I had some time last week to work on color thumbs, but that was tough! I am trying to make every shot have a story, and not just be a "useless" image. I used the first thumbnails as a base for the second ones.

Color thumbs approach from my teacher

More detailed thumbs

I've already modeled out the middle top thumbnail in Modo, going to start working on that one as soon as possible!

Stay awesome!
  • DrawingMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again,

It's been awhile! Made some time to finish this piece, super happy with it! Got a lot of feedback on it during progress, which was great. The assignment was to use 3D and phototextures in the artwork and hide it seamlessly. I could've done it a lot quicker if I had taken more time finding the right phototextures instead of painting most of it myself. Next time!

Final image

3D model from Modo

Ideas and sketches

Work in progress

I hope I can expand the world these images are in. I'd still be happy with any feedback that I can take with me to the next piece.

Stay awesome!