Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trying Character Design

omer_s
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
omer_s polycounter lvl 7
Hi, ive been trying lately to design some characters, if theres any feedback on things to improve or keep in mind it will be very appriciated.
I'm here to learn :]
Paladin, supposed to be warrior class with magic abilities (not project related)

Orc heavy warrior (not project related)

Tank\warrior- female class for a game im currently working on (trying to think in square "fortified" shapes)

Archer-female class for the same game (trying to implement the triangular- arrow\arrow head shape in the design)

Replies

• ErikaVerkaaik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work :smile:
    The use of shape consistency looks really good and is really obvious in the Paladin design - it looks great.
    Of the warrior designs the armour / weapon design on the right fits with the square shapes a little better but I think the stockier physique (the one on the left) would suit the character better.
    Out of the three archer designs the middle seems to work the best - the arrow shape is reflected nicely in her boots.
    I would push the use of contrast a little more though - maybe make the lighter pattern on her clothes even lighter.
  • owlfrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    owlfrog polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the paladin just because it seems to have a lot of movement, making it very interesting. Like why are they casting this magic, I think it raises some questions which make the piece more interesting. The archer is also very good! Keep up the great work!
  • _Hofsta_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Hofsta_ polycounter lvl 4
    Really cool. I dig the paladin and I also really like the line quality and flow in the last two sketches.

I think the characters would benefit from being grounded more in 3d space. Especially on the top two with the blank solid colored backgrounds. Having even a basic gradient and some cast shadows to show that they are on solid ground would help immensely. Another thing is that at least to me, some of the rendering techniques you used in the top two pieces feel at odds with the shape language. Maybe try flat colors and soft gradients to highlight all the awesome shapes of the characters? Just a suggestion. Keep up the good work!